Getting Started

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MollieNeuman 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user patricialeigh in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

I know I need to get back to a healthy weight.  Twice in the past I got to nearly my healthy “goal weight” and ended up pregnant (which was a VERY good thing!). After my last child was born I had a lot of extra stress (including my husband being hospitalized, my son having some health issues, moving, etc).

I really want to lose weight but I have SO MUCH going on that I am not sure how to stay successful.  Anyone have any suggestions about how they have started?  Typically when I get into a routine I do good, it’s just the first 2 or 3 weeks.  HELP PLEASE!

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

The trick is to implement a healthy lifestyle from now on, not “go on a diet” or “try to lose weight.” When I decided to eat healthier, it was a changed I was adopting forever, which made it easier to stick to.

Here’s some advise on weight loss and ADHD too:
    http://www.additude.com/adhd/article/736.html
    http://www.additude.com/adhd/article/5700.html
    http://www.additude.com/adhd/article/7306.html

Good luck!
    Penny
    Moderator, Author on Parenting ADHD, Mom to pre-teen boy with ADHD, LDs, and autism

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user graceeeee in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

First off, ADD/ADHD is considered a hidden disorder because we find ways to cope with lack of our executive functions. What “normal” people do easily, we struggle with. I discovered I had ADD in my 40’s, after I put down the food and other things that masked my ADD behaviors…What worked for me was joining Overeaters Anonymous. You get support for getting through each day, because in our society food is rampant everywhere and many people indulge and eat way more than what is healthy, so you have so many factors working against you before you start. In OA, people are all there to gain control over their eating, talk about all issues related to it, and there is a proven workable method to change your eating patterns. That is the only thing that worked for me. Being a dieter with weight yoyo-ing ever since I can remember, I have lost the weight, kept it off, and maintained a healthy weight, along with all my health numbers improving. If you want more information or support, you can look them up online or I’d be glad to help you get started.

One more important thing, that is a huge perk in going to OA. Almost everyone in OA has some form of ADD/ADHD, also. Unfortunately, many are unaware they have it, but you can talk about procrastination and all other issues related to ADD/ADHD and you will find many people there that will relate to what you are talking about.

MollieNeuman
    Participant

Thanks for the help Kevin.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.