Getting Older and Losing Interest

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Getting Older and Losing Interest

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Marian
      Participant

When I was younger, all kinds of things spiked my interest and revved me into action. But now that I’m in my fifties, I rarely experience that jolt. The hyperactive part of my ADHD has definitely disappeared, and I miss it. It’s as if nothing really interests me anymore. Has anyone else experienced this? And what have you done about it? I miss the energy and inspiration. I hate all the time I am wasting.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

The ADHD brain definitely changes over time:

Inside the Aging ADHD Brain

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Marian
        Participant

Thank you. The article is interesting. My doctor has put me on estrogen therapy, and that has helped, but not enough. I understand why the ADHD is worse, but it leaves me depressed sometimes because I miss the hyper energy I used to have.

samiam0895
      Participant

I feel the same way and am in a rut.

Marian
        Participant

Glad I’m not alone!

pinksphinxx
      Participant

I look forward to some advice on this subject as at 57 I feel the same. Not good!

I was only diagnosed with ADHD a year ago and it explains a lot about the difficulties and successes I’ve had throughout my life, but it doesn’t explain where I should go from here. I feel nuts too.

Marian
        Participant

I, too, was diagnosed later in life, and it was like this huge epiphany. When I told my mom, she said, “I always knew that.” But in those days, no one did anything about it. Glad I’m not alone in this. Thanks for posting.

JKHoopes7
      Participant

I am 56 and was diagnosed in the last 6 months. It does explain some of my past job failures, etc. I know the feeling of not wanting to pursue the things that used to really interest me. I have picked up a new hobby and am teaching myself to knit with YouTube videos and help from a small yarn store. Reach out and try something totally new that you’ve always wanted to do! With the tools you may have learned on ADDitude for dividing difficult tasks up into smaller bites, and making yourself stay on task, you may enjoy learning process more than you ever have in the past!

Marian
        Participant

Thank you! I’ve been thinking of signing up for a class on something new, but I worry about the commitment. Something definitely has to change in my life. I like the idea of you teaching yourself something new.

ddresner
      Participant

Hello!

I totally understand where you are coming from.

What has been REALLY working for me is exercise. Without it, you will lose energy, become depressed, and lose your motivation. But you HAVE to do something that you like – if you find yourself dreading it, you will not exercise and feel even worse.

I love the forest and live in an area with lots of beautiful trails in the Pacific Northwest. I also love to dance, so I take classes three times a week. I had a foot injury that kept me from exercising for a year, and I felt terrible. I had to start from scratch to get my endurance back up, and believe me, it sucked…I could barely walk out of class, was totally wobbly and …ewww. But I just kept at it, and now I see a huge improvement (within a few months!) in my fitness level, my weight, and my overall outlook on life. I have A LOT more energy now.

It is REALLY hard to start and continue, but the results will be SOOO worth it! Age has nothing to do with it. (Although it does take a bit longer to get fit.)

Good luck!!!!

Marian
        Participant

This makes a lot of sense! I used to swim a couple of days a week and run, and even participated in a sprint triathlon, which was loads of fun. I think this lethargy started when the exercise stopped, come to think of it. I do walk, but it’s not the same as the aerobic I used to do. Your post is inspiring. I think I need to get back in the pool, which was something I enjoyed, until everything just seemed to be too much effort. But you’re right; I have to start somewhere. Thank you.

anomalocaris
      Participant

The best advice I can give is, get outside and walk. So many people with ADD do better outdoors that there was a big move for a time toward teaching ADD kids outdoors whenever possible. I have no choice but to walk a couple of miles a day because I don’t have a car, but even on the weekends, I make sure it happens. Sometimes I’m so exhausted and tuned out that I just want to sit on the sofa and binge-watch Supernatural, and on those days I coax myself out of it by telling myself I’ll just walk across campus (I live near a college) to the Starbucks and get a cup of coffee. Once I get started, half the time I don’t make it to Starbucks because I got distracted by photographing ducks or water drops, or ice crystals, or spotted some raccoons. I just need the excuse to get the ball rolling. Also, I carry a camera constantly. You don’t have to be really into photography or have an expensive camera (mine’s a cheap superzoom). I’ve just found that carrying it makes me look at the world in a different way. I notice things I wouldn’t have noticed before — the way the setting sun makes the campus sprinklers look like they’re scattering gold. Frost crystals on the juniper hedges. Small birds. Sometimes I barely look at the photos later. It’s not about the photos. It’s about taking them.

Also, I find it helps me a lot to be involved in something that makes a difference. Without my snake rescues in the winter it’s harder but there are still little things. Last week I met a homeless guy who I’ve seen many times in the same location, so I spent some time crocheting a couple of warm things for him and putting together a practical care package. When I gave it to him, and told him I’d made some of the things in it, his eyes filled with tears and he said, “But you’ve only met me once!” Seeing how much he appreciated that little gesture… where am I going to find better motivation than that? With ADD, motivation doesn’t come to us readily. We have to go out and look for it.

ajbrooks1361
      Participant

I’m 56 years old and I have ADHD, and many of you do miss those high moments of energy, euphoria, etc., but on the other hand, I’m learning to enjoy the slower pace of thinking and doing, instead of always running behind, and never feeling fully complete. I believe that I “feel” like I should miss it, but when I do the math, and sum up all the facts, I end up realizing that I’m still faster than those around me, and slowing down is healthier for me. I’m got to work smarter, and not harder. Done that too long. So.. let’s enjoy ourselves at our new pace, and place in life. Be good to ourselves!

keypher
      Participant

I hear you. I miss the frenetic pace and zeal of my 20’s. In my 50’s I find myself fighting the lethargy and then realize that I have the possibility to be more present than ever before. While I exercise that muscle, I will take the advice of the others and exercise, learn something new, and act on something meaningful to me. Meanwhile, know we’re sharing a path and I’m rooting for you to find a happy balance as will I.

reeve11
      Participant

Sorry for the length of this, but I saw this post while browsing the internet and I felt compelled to share my experience in hopes that it might help some of you who may be experiencing some of the things? It this works for you, its very manageable and may be a spring board to a wonderful new life, like a new beginning!

How you feel on the inside is reflected in your face, your actions and your words. It is how people see you on the outside, and people can typically determine this within the first minute of being with you. It can also be cause for people to avoid you if you look unhappy, you always complain or you tend to have a negative spirit all the time with them.

I can tell you that the shortcut answer is that your sluggishness and feeling of lethargy, depression and disgust is most likely because of the food you eat! Seriously! There is a gut brain that works together with the real brain to insure health and harmony in the entire body and that things function properly. When not fed properly and kept in balance, it can cause the ill feeling in conjunction with body and chemistry changes that occur in the body as we age. It can cause us to feel very poorly in to have no energy. You can read more about the gut brain and how it works. There are other things that can cause this, too, like killing all the good bacteria in your stomach after taking antibiotics for several weeks. Sometimes you need to reseed this flora with good bacteria. You can get products for this, too, at Sam’s Club, Walmart and similar warehouse stores. But, that something different!

Briefly, I am 58 now. Besides having ADHD, I grew up with a mild to moderate case of Tourette’s Syndrome. One seemed to trigger or exacerbate the other. There were 5 kids in my family and I was in the middle. We were generally happy but my parents never acknowledged my problems and they didn’t like drugs. We rarely even took an aspirin unless we had high fever. My parents felt that if they treated me like the other kids and did not make a big deal of it, then I would grow out of it. They didn’t consider the fact that others might single me out or that I might NOT grow out of it. I don’t blame them, this was how the time was. I’m sure a lot of you understand what I mean. Mental illness or things of the mind were not treated as much as it was ignored and joked about, and was something you wanted to avoid at all costs! You didn’t talk about those things for fear that men in little white coats would come and take you away! No, I’m fine! Really! Just kidding!

In stressful situations (happy or sad) I would blink and wince one eye very hard, and it might include ratcheting my jaw. In extreme cases I would force a guttural noise from my stomach area. It was like forcing energy out by tightening my stomach and solar plexus, allowing it to make a sort of growl, very difficult to control these and I was teased unmercifully as a kid because people saw my nervousness and always pointed it out, mimicked it, laughed and made fun of me. I later learned to use this to my advantage and keep organized. But, that’s another story.

As a teenager I was run over by a drunk driver on my motorcycle and broke 11 bones including my femur and hip. In Dallas, open containers were allowed at the time. I received a small settlement and I lived a normal live. Over the years I was even able to become VP of a dream job that I loved and worked with NASA. That was until I ruptured my first disk in 1994 of what would later become 4 ruptured disks today. I began taking 40mg of Methadone daily for pain, just to function, and still do today. The pain elevated after this time and was unable to be treated, and I became disabled in 2009, losing a 6-figure income and alot of domestic and international travel to go on disability. That was a culture shock! But, it’s very true that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, if you don’t let it go the other way. The methadone itself caused terrible constipation that no medication was ever able to solve or didn’t make worse. But, about two years ago, at age 56, I just seemed to wake up and feel like I lost all my energy and my joy! I think there must be some significant chemical change that occurs over relatively short time in a man in mid to old age, something like a male menopause where hormones are greatly reduced. I would wake up feeling like I had been drugged or had a bad hangover! I had tried everything to combat this, a pot of coffee, energy drinks, exercises. The exercise does help, even if it’s just a 1 mile walk around the block in the evenings to check out the neighborhood. But, it wasn’t until my son brought me some juices from the juice bar where he works that I finally came out of my funk! He brought me a green juice, a beet juice, a ginger shot and a turmeric shot. The natural Turmeric is the best anti-inflammatory and immediately helped reduced pain from my spine without needing to take as much ibuprofen. I immediately cut the Advil that I needed in half, and may be able to reduce more as I’m still monitoring and adjusting this. The ginger is good for digestion and many other things, and beet juice is a great stool softener and has many other benefits. If I may speak candidly, it made pencil size poop into normal sized again…LOL Sorry if that’s too much information, but it has all but cured the worst case of constipation for over 20 years, and that’s huge for some who have struggled with it! Ginger and Beet juice (separately) are best for this.

All these fresh products have live enzymes and have only a 3-5 day shelf life in the refrigerator after pressed, so they are constantly turned over daily to insure the freshest stock and you must use it fairly quickly, the sooner the better. But, it has been nothing short of miraculous in how it has helped me overcome things that literally held me back. I believe you will see a difference, too. It’s shut me up against the so-called health “kooks”. They are brilliant people now! LOL It’s not very cheap, but if you can try it for 1 month and see that it works, it would be the best confirmation for investing in your own cold-pressing equipment, buying your own fruits and vegetables and including “juicing” in your daily routines for health benefits. Cold-pressing is supposed to be the only way to go and the machines can be a couple thousand $$$. But, there’s a real reason athletes and other active people do this! They’re not fanatics or kooks! It makes you feel better!

Here’s info on Buda Juice. https://budajuice.com/

We were meant as humans to eat fresh and raw foods. Not overcooked, over-processed foods. The large majority of us are not getting anything close to what our bodies need. I hate to say it, but there’s much proof that we’ve been lied to by our food industry and large food providers as to the value of the dumbed down, destroyed foods that they sell us, in the name of profits. I’m not a nutritionist, but most of this does not take rocket science to understand or to see the benefits yourself very quickly. It can also add years of health to your life. The difference now for me? I actually WANT to add years to my life now and not wishing I would just not wake up!

Put down some of the pasta and the breads (yes, I know it’s tough, I’m Italian!), and give this a try! You will not regret the young feeling and real ability you will gain.

Lastly, I’m looking at the hormone injection called BIOTE. https://www.biotemedical.com/ Has anyone tried this? I am a little apprehensive, but I’m hearing amazing things, especially from women! Does anyone have firsthand experience or professional comment about it, positive or negative?

I wish you all the best and would be interested to know if this works for most of you. I believe it will! You are only as healthy as what you eat!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Paul

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.