Getting off dexedrine

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting off dexedrine

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      zagor
      Participant

Hi. I am looking for an advice. I was diagnosed with mild add and severe depression/anxiety. I also have narcolepsy and was prescribed dexedrine 2 years ago. I take 25mg two times a day immediate release. But when I try to taper down even 2.5 mg per dose my depression as well as akathisia hits the roof. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get off?

*I am taking some antidepressants as well but lack of amphetamine lowers my dopamine therefore makes the condition worse”

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This is definietly a question for your doctor.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Aaron Lewis
      Participant

As Penny said, you need to ask a doctor.

zagor
      Participant

I have. He said he can help me by adding benzos. But it didn’t work. That’s why I ask if anyone done it on this forum.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

He can give you a plan to stop a medication. It’s different based on the fact that you are taking multiple medications and needs to be overseen by a doctor.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Aaron Lewis
        Participant

Benzodiazepines are quick acting medications. I take one clonazepam pill before I go to sleep, and it has really helped my anxiety. I still have the anxiety, but I don’t have the anxiety attacks I did before starting clonazepam.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.