Getting a prescription for the meds I know I need – UK / NHS

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Getting a prescription for the meds I know I need – UK / NHS

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      KatieADD
      Participant

So Ive moved around a lot and been working away a lot the last 2/3 yrs. I started my journey to getting the correct diagnosis and prescription about this length of time too. But intermittently because of being so busy with work and in different countries. But I really need to address it now.
      I’m UK based, and went private as it was just quicker to get an appointment, speak with someone, and get a orecriotion to try. The NHS system takes many months of recurring appointments and waiting.
      My first private appointment he suggested and prescribed Ritalin. This was not right for me. A family member has Ritalin but they are hyper and distracted. I am without the hyper ness. If that makes sense. So I have always believed I am more the ADD than ADHD type. Then, while in another country living and working I saw another private doctor. Who prescribed Concerta. This too did not address my needs.
      I have since tried a friends prescription of Amfexa they had left over. As they were not the correct medication for them at the time. And these seem to fit the bill for me perfectly.
      I’m now going to go to my doctor (NHS) and say I have been trying and using these and they work for me. But obviously this practice of using others meds of this sort is frowned upon.
      Wondering how to word it that these are what I would like to be prescribed. With it not being a private doctor they are a little more difficult to deal with.

h22k22-female
      Participant

Tell the truth.
      If it works it’s the shortest route to getting the prescription.
      Good luck

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. You were prescribed two methylphenidates, so those clearly aren’t the best type for you. I looked up Amfexa (we don’t have it in the US that I can tell), and it’s a dexamphetamine. This makes sense as a next step since it would be best to try an amphetamine after you ruled out methylphenidates. Unfortunately, many doctors aren’t aware that people do well on one or the other but not both.

This article explains ADHD medication in detail:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.