Generic Adderall

This topic contains 31 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  the dancer 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Beth
    Participant

Hello- I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD 6 months ago. I’ve found that Adderall (generic) can help me focus, calms me,and makes dealing with life just overall less overwhelming. I went so many years just feeling so different and not knowing what was wrong.

Anyhow, the thing is – from month to month – the effects I get from the AuroBindo Generic Adderall I take (30 mg IR daily. really varies. Some months it helps (like that first month)and others it just makes me feel cloudy headed, scattered, unable to focus, and wanting to sleep a great deal. In other wards awful.

Does anyone here relate to having this situation where the effects/quality – of their ADHD genetic medication does not seem consistent on a month to month basis?

And, even more specifically has anyone else been given the generic for Adderral from a company called Aurobindo and experienced problems with it. I can’t help but wonder if another generic might be of better quality ?

My pharmacy seems to only carry the Aurobindo generic and my insurance doesn’t cover the name brand that I’d imagine would be very costly.

It’s just frustrating to have something be helpful one month and then awful the next. I find mindfulness and cognitive therapy helps me too. Yet, it would be nice to know if maybe I should be having a talk with my Dr. or pharmacy about trying another generic brand of Adderral. I’m afraid they will just say that all generics are the same etc.and not take me seriously.

Anyone with any thoughts or feedback related to my post ? I’d be grateful to listen:)

Beth

Beth
    Participant

Also-when the Aurobindo Adderal helps – it allows me to focus, calms me, and overall clears my mind and allows me to accomplish things versus being sort of paralyzed with a sense of everything being just so overwhelming that I feel like I really don’t know where to begin..but for whatever the reason – some months it’s just awful.
    Beth

Gazettechan
    Participant

I haven’t experienced this kind of situation. Must be hard. I hope you get the right answer.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Is it possible that you are getting different generics? There can be a pretty big difference in the efficacy of generics (like up to 25 or 30%, I think). Seems unlikely that the same manufacturer is changing formulation, but pharmacies change the brands they stock pretty frequently.

Name-Brand Prescriptions vs. Generic Drugs

You can ask the pharmacy to stock a different generic for you. We’ve done that before and most don’t mind doing it.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

alcx46
    Participant

I take generic Adderall as well and I do notice variations. I haven’t gone through the trouble of tracking which generic I’m on and how I feel, but there are times when I feel level headed/focused, there are times when I feel like I’ve taken nothing more than a placebo, and there are times when I feel like maybe my dose is too high (anxious, irritable, on-edge). I haven’t been able to pinpoint any specific generic to these variations – sometimes it varies from day to day even with the same generic. I’ve been through Teva, Core Pharma LLC, and my next bottle of 30s is from Aurobindo, so I’ll try to be mindful of how I feel once I start them and keep you updated. It’s important to note that there are so many other factors that can affect how this medication is absorbed and how it affects you. Taking it with/without food, the type of food you take it with (alkaline foods are going to increase/prolong the effects, acidic foods will do the opposite, taking it with a high fat meal may give you a steadier effect throughout the day). Hormones, external stressors, and caffeine intake are other factors.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  alcx46. Reason: Typos/grammar nazi=P

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

@alcx46 makes a good point: what you eat and other factors can affect medication efficacy from one day to the next. You should definitely avoid citrus and citric acid (found in soda and other foods), within 2 hours of taking medication for optimal results. Maybe try tracking your food intake and medication efficacy each day for a few weeks and see if there’s a pattern to days it doesn’t seem to work as well.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

agoswift
      Participant

hi, i started concerta and my blood sugar falls.this happens on any stimulant,even coffee.y does this happen? also after taking concerta i fell asleep.thanks for any help!

MorGan73
    Participant

I used to have great results with corepharma and have been on that generic for over a year. As of late that particular brand has been harder to get. Every pharmacy always changes there generic because of pricing so I was told. MYLAN and AUROBINDO to me are horrible, absolutely do nothing and give me severe headaches. I told my doctor to switch me to generic adderall xr to see if that would work better. I take 60mg daily and also on 20mg of generic Celexa to help with the aggression side effect. Good Luck on your journey because it is always an uphill battle with meds. I can’t afford name brand medication because my 1300 a month Insurance won’t cover it. Having this condition, being over 40, a wife, a mom and a women with crazy hormones I don’t see any relief in my future. I hope you can find the right balance because I have yet to.

Beth
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Morgan 73

Im so sorry for your struggles. Oh boy can I relate to having “crazy hormones”-I’m now 54 – and those have evened out some after a very difficult menopause and then hysterectomy. I’ll hope you find the relief you so crave – I truly do. Being a mom and a wife too – I know my hormonal struggles along with ADHD sometimes had me less patient then I know I’m capable of being. I don’t know how old your kiddos are – mine are teenagers and one is off to college. So in my 40s-they were growing up and quite young in my early 40s. Along with the ADHD – Ive had periods of depression and also anxiety. I found Lahmictal helped me with evening out my mood – (verbal aggression from ADHD medications has been a side effect for me too unfortunately). Inconsistencies among generic medications certainly don’t help. As you already know – finding a medication or medications that are helpful is a very individual search. I tried quite a few medications before hitting upon the ones that have been helpful to me.

I worry sometimes about all the young kids out there who aren’t able to really describe if they are having a bad experience with a generic ADHD medication. This wasn’t my situation but I often will wonder how those little ones could be affected by all this variance amongst different generic ADHD medications!

Weirdly my most recent refill of the Aurobindo Adderral 10mg IR seems to be helping my ADHD challenges. Sigh, who knows what next month will bring. Name brands are completely out of my financial reach as well – so here we are stuck with varying generics. I wonder if they even make name brand Adderral IR! If so, I’d imagine it would be wildly expensive.

I hope your AdderralXR with the Celexa will help you. I really do. (How frustrating for you too- to have had the Corepharm helping-only to be switched to Aurobindo that was not helping you). I wish you all the best. I believe you will find the relief you so badly want. There is hope – just keep on searching for what will help you. My thoughts are to keep on trying different things- The motto progress not perfection always gives me a little peace. Also learning some mindfleness and cognitive therapy skills have been helpful in dealing with my ADHD and well, (and life in general. I will keep you in my thoughts that you find the medications and other strategies that help you feel better.

Beth

Beth
    Participant

Hi alcx46

Thank you (and everyone!) for taking the time to respond to my concerns.

I’m just wondering if you’ve tried the Aurobindo yet and if so – what has your experience with it been like?

Hopefully it’s helping you.

I’m definately interested to hear.

Thanks again for responding. I’m going to look into the foods that can decrease absorption. I’m not sure why it’s the case , but I did read that antacids and s Adderall are a bad mix. This has forced me to stop taking my medication for Acid Reflux because I’m scared of how it would interact with Adderall in my body.

Beth

donja.bunnell
    Participant

Hi –

I just wanted to say I tried the Aurobindo generic for Adderall. It is ridiculously crappy. I’d been on the Corepharma generic for a couple of years then all of a sudden Fred Meyer wasn’t carrying it anymore. I received the Aurobindo brand instead for one month. It was horrible. It was like not being on anything. I went to Costco the following month and they gave me the Mallinckrodt generic. I don’t mind this one. Anyone who tells you that all generics are the same is full of it. If you look up Aurobindo generic with Google you will find a bunch of complaints. Just thought I’d pass it on.

Beth
    Participant

Hi-

I just kept hoping it was my imagination that a generic could be so awful. I’m going to call around to see what other generics might be available in my area. I feel a bit afraid to ask my pharmacist to order a different type because he may well just tell me all generics are the same. The mind is a powerful thing and I way to quickly jumped to a conclusion that the Aurobindo was somehow sometimes helping me my ADHD challenges.

It was my imagination, because when I took the time to track how the Aurobindo was working (using a form intended for that
    Purpose)- the results were bssically “not at all. It often makes me tired and puts me to sleep – to make matters Even worse.

I like to get my medications from the same small privately owned pharmacy-so I guess it can not hurt to ask if they could pride a different generic. If not, I’ll have to call around.

I don’t understand how the FDA lets such crappy generics be given to people. And – it’s scaring me to think of kids being given this placebo like generic. I’m going to write a complaint to the FDA (as I read others have complained as well).

Thanks everyone for helping me realize I can be proactive in regards to the medication aspect of treating my ADHD.

Beth

Careyokey911
      Participant

I have a theory on this subject of generic brands of adderall and why some work sometimes and not other times and vice versa.
      Its really quite complicated though and im not sure if i really should bother going into it because if my theory is correct , well it would end up turning into an essay, then a novel…
      The gist of it is yes perhaps at times each generic version has to take a hit on quality and or strength because the dea tighly regulates and controls specific ingredients which they have set that only such and such amount of it is allowed to be made and used per year. There had always seem to be a shortage of adderall (generic or not) right before the start of school in the fall
      With that said , i dont believe those prescribed the meds get jipped on purpose, besides there are likely many on too high of a dose and those too low of one so eventually we all get hit by this ripple effect, which is strange and made me wonder if i was going a little bit crazy. Like how could i suddenly have such a high tolerance from one script to the next that suddenly the new generic the pharmacy switched to does absolutely nothing except give me severe headaches and heartburn and feels nothing like the former generic which btw was a totally different color and major difference in the TASTE of the ir tablets..kind of a dead give away if you ask me. Amphetamines have a chemically bitter taste to them regardless of what form they are in that is unmistakable . But anyhow , those were orange the white ones tasted and crumbled like aspirin and did not have that bitter amp taste at all
      Maybe it was a sick experiment to see how long it would take if it even takes for anyone to notice and start saying something
      And yes , beth you are totally right, all the pharmacist will tell you is how they are all the freaking same blah blah (eh hem excuse me while i cough and clear my throat as i say bullsh*t at the same time)
      Anyhow
      Its all theory, except the part about the dea and how tightly controlled and limited the amount of whatever the special ingredient used in part for amphetamines per year.

MorGan73
    Participant

Hi Beth
    That’s for you u kind words in your earlier post. I am sorry to hear that AUROBINDO is not working for you. I really hoped it was just me and someone would benefit from it. Generic adderall has been a nightmare for me as of late. Pharmacies barely have it and what they do have is crap. I hate wasting my time calling and driving from one pharmacy to the next being treated like a drug addict just to find the corepharma brand. As I said previously I got my doc to switch me to generic xr just to see if that made a difference. It has been a challenge figuring out how to get the dosing correct for my body. I’m on 60 mg daily, 20mg pills and before I would take a whole pill at 6:00am and split the rest throughout the day. My headaches would become so severe at 3:00 pm I hardly ever got my last dose in at 5:00pm. With the ER I take one 30mg at 6:00am and then take the other 30 at 10:00/11:00. I find that helps me better throughout the day. The ER generic is ACTAVIS. So far I’m not sleepy like before and I can actually get things accomplished. I still have a hard time with decision making and procrastination. I didn’t have this effect with the corepharma brand. I think it is s so sad that we as private insurance payers have to deal with generics at all. Medicaid recipients get all their meds brand name and I can’t afford any that may actually help me because they don’t come in a generic and my 1300 a month Insurance will only pay 80% of brand name medications. That sounds great until you find out that the medication is 1000 a month. Being 44 a am going to do the hormone test that my OBGYN is referring. That is costing me a 300 Co pay just for a saliva test, then I have to pay 100 just to test my Cortisol the same way. Being a woman and dealing with ADD have been a very difficult battle. I hope by being on this forum we can help each other find our own path to sanity by sharing our experiences. Everything is trial and error and a lot of wasted money and time to find the comfort we seek in our minds. That is my rant for today but I hope it will help others find their way.

drewgundy
    Participant

Until today, I didn’t know different manufacturers made the generic Adderall. I humorously thought that it was all manufactured by the same place. I guess I never cared enough to look into it or even think about it. I’ve always teased people for buying name brand without even understanding the process. A jerk move, I know. Anyway, I started filling my prescription at Smith’s because it was the cheapest. The pills looked different and seemed softer. I figured that they would get into my system faster, so I was happy about that. Also, I hadn’t taken Adderall in a couple of weeks because I had run out. I do that on purpose a few times a year thinking that it will help me to keep from building up too much of a tolerance. Anyway, the pills just didn’t work well. I didn’t blame the pills, I simply blamed myself for allowing my body to build up a tolerance. I spoke to my doctor about alternatives, but they were too expensive for me. So, I kept taking what I had since that was better than nothing. Long story short, I filled my prescription at Walgreens yesterday and took my pill this morning and felt “normal”, which led to me doing a Google search for “are generic prescriptions different from pharmacy to pharmacy?”. I had no idea there were different manufacturers until today. So, the brand that was just “better than nothing” was Aurobindo. The one I highly prefer is Teva. I’m sure other brands are great too, but I don’t plan on getting them when Teva works great for me.

sweetshaunna
    Participant

Hi, yes I have also experienced problems with my 15 mg generic Adderall manufactured by Aurobindo. The generic I had before worked just fine! Helped slow my mind and improved focus with no side effects. Than when I picked up my new script the pharmacist informed me that the pills may look different as they switched brands. I thought nothing of it until later. The first couple days of taking the Aurobindo pills were very uncomfortable. My heart was racing, couldnt focus or think clearly, was mashing my teeth together, started a weird nervous twitch with my toes. Honestly I could keep going too about all the side effects. It took me a few days of this before I got fed up and started racking my brain for why i felt this way. Put all the facts together, stopped taking my generic Adderall and i felt fine. Took it the next day, same horrible symptoms. I’ve looked into it a bit and have seen several articles about Aurobindo getting in trouble with not just the FDA but other countries quality control as well. And that an issue may also be allergies to different inactive ingredients. It appears that most of Aurobindo meds are produced in India which is not as regulated by the FDA as you’d think it would be. So you are not crazy! There is A LOT of complaints Ive found towards Aurobindo medications.

MorGan73
    Participant

I have talked about this specific brand before and it is trash. I always ask what brand to pharmacy has before I get mine filled which leads me to going to several pharmacies and getting treated like a drug user. This company should be banned from selling this. I have terrible reactions to the fillers and it absolutely does nothing for my ADD. I am 44, Mom of three and deal with a lot of stress which requires my full mental focus. Teva is my favorite but it’s getting harder to find. I pay 1300.00 a month for insurance which is now going up to 1800.00 and can’t afford the brand name adderall. Maybe I should quick my job, get divorced and file for assistance to be able to get the good stuff. There is no winning. I pray for each and everyone who is struggling with trying to manage ADD like me on there own. I have yet to find the right combination of meds and I was diagnosed at 40. It is a constant struggle. You are not alone.

rgoodrich
    Participant

Thank you for posting this information! I had no idea that there were different generic manufacturers. I just pulled out my bottles and see that my first prescription for 10mg pills was made by Aurobindo. I had a difficult time finding the right dosage because I had such severe palpitations and headaches. I’m on my third bottle, which is now 7mg pills, and these are made by Teva. I have been perplexed because I feel very different on these pills. I’ve even wondered if I need to increase the dose. But maybe it’s because I’m not feeling the racing heart that I had come to associate with the Aurobindo medication. Obviously it’s worth paying attention to our responses to the different sources. Thanks again!

MorGan73
    Participant

If you can get Teva definitely stick with that. I have switched to extended release to see if that would ease my headaches since I take 60mg daily. I still can’t seem to fill in the gaps of when I feel like the medication is falling short of doing it’s job. I got better results on the regular Teva generic adderall splitting it up throughout the day. It seems that the major pharmacies have stopped caring that generic at least where I live. My experience with the extended release so far has been a challenge. I hope people in out similar situation will really pay attention to what generics they are consuming. AUROBINDO would make my vision blurry, have a lot of aggression, constantly grind my teeth to where I actually broke a filling, twitch and feel overall like crap. I would rather go without than to ever take that generic again.

eggspert
    Participant

Almost all walmarts pharmacy and Walgreens carry is Teva.. Be careful not every walmart wil take discount cards if you pay with cash same as Walgreens and you wont even knoe until they are finished how much you will save on 146.00 average price at Walgreens for 90 tablets. And walmart was 125.00 average but their price varies depending on side of town. If thet are only two miles away both wallgreens will give you same price for example. But its basically up to pharmacist accepting coupon where ever you go, discount cards on schedule drugs others will say no then give you well we wont know until you are here. Hello my dr sends e scrips for crying out loud! I cant keep going around requesting he fax different pharmacies for me due to these ridiculous issues different policies different locations have..ridiculous

MYFIGHT
    Participant

I got my first rx for Adderall last Thursday. Dropped it off at the grocery store pharmacy same day…tried to pick it up on Saturday, was told it wasn’t in stock, that it would be in on the following Tuesday (today…). Called to check, nope…not in. Hasn’t been in stock for over two months.

Called Costco, they have it in stock…Mallen-croft is the manufacturer. Now I have to go to the store, pick up the hard copy rx, turn around and drive back to Costco, drop it off and have them fill it…

Hope this stuff works…

TerrenceWelsch
    Participant

That sounds really frustrating. I know that adderal ccan be a big help, but I’ve suffered the same point of it losing efficacy over time. Maybe it’s tolerance related. Ive been searching for long term healing options with a more natural edge, because while I fully support anyone who gains benefit from add/adhd medication, it has some unwelcome side effects for me, personally. I’m sure you’ve heard of it’s potential benefits, but I’ve been seeing a lot of info pop up on CBD and it’s benefits in this regard. It seems the onset might be a bit slower but potentially more lasting. I found some good info here if it’s something you’re interested in

Home New

Stever8458
    Participant

I going to come right out and be blunt. The manufacturers are playing some sort of shell game with the generic adderall.
    When I initially went on generic adderall, I noticed this happening every few months and at certain times of the year. Each would work at some point during the year, only to stop working at a future point in time.This is no joke, but it seemed to be “seasonal,” in other words at particular (fiscal?) quarters of the year. I kept detailed notes concerning the brands, the results, the side effects, etc.
    After 2 years of tracking the generics effects, each manufacturers adderall at some point in time went to crap. I was on a very low dose and always had some left over each month, which gave me adderall to use in a comparison against the next brand given to me by my pharmacy.I would mark the bottles of the good adderall and save them, then I would store the bad in a box.
    When I would get the bad adderall I would notice it immediately because I am not being treated for strictly ADHD. It is being used to treat something entirely different, so it is not my attention span, nor an addiction or tolerance issue. I will not go into detail here because the reason for the prescription is of no real importance. Suffice to say that you can be sure that the generic adderall is never consistent and varies wildly. I would always take some of the previous months adderall to see if it was a tolerance issue developing. It never was. After many months of monitoring the drug makers, I settled on the one generic brand that worked, and it worked on a regular basis.
    For the next two years my pharmacist was kind enough to order that brand in just for me. Only once did they accidentally give me the known, bad adderall, and I knew it within a very short time. The pharmacist exchanged it for me.
    Out of all the generics that I tried only one was any kind of quality, and it worked every time.
    Now, I stopped all medication almost two years ago. I stopped overnight. No real side effects and no addictions. My dosage was so low that I had no problem quitting. This low steady dose worked only if I had the correct generic, and I stayed on the exact same dosage for the entire time that I took adderall. It was just as effective on the last day as the very first time that I took it. The horrible generic brands had been revealed, and thus, a substitute could never be given to me without my detecting it. It was simply that the effect it had,… was exactly as it should have been. 2014-2016, on a 1 specific brand that worked.
    Now, lets fast forward to this month. After two years off adderall, I had forgotten that this was such a problem. I have now tried 3 different generic brands, in just this month. The condition being treated is not ADHD, so I do not require an “adjustment period”, like some people do. It either works immediately, or it does not work at all. The side effects always come after several days, if I am to have them. ALL THREE GENERICS FAILED!
    The brand that I had previously been taking, in 2016 was Barr brand. They are now owned by Teva. Teva was always one of the ones that I had to stay off of. The 1 time the pharmacy gave me the other generic and it did not work,…it was Teva. Now, 2016 or early 2017, Teva began placing their name on the label like this, Teva/Barr. The Medicine still worked once the label was changed. However, a while later, after everyone had made the “mental adjustment” that the Teva brand now seemed to work, the label they used simply read, Teva. They had gotten rid of the printed Barr portion of the label, And…their adderall was no longer effective. In effect, they were “snagging” the Barr customers and conditioning them to the fact that the adderall still worked in spite of the name change,…and then… BOOM, it did not work.
    Well, today, IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.
    The 1 darned brand that was reliable (for me)…is no longer available. I am unsure what my doctor is going to do about this, but he is extremely aggravated with the generics. My insurance company was also informed of this problem. They cover only the Teva, but this is very likely to change due them contacting my doctor and getting all the information from him.
    Folks, take it for what it is worth from someone who is prescribed adderall for non-ADHD focus, clarity and recall…it is not up to par. This particular concoction would not even appeal to those who would use it for recreation. The side effects within all their configurations were miserable, to say the least. Maybe that is the point, or it could be purely financial gain. Seemingly, it would cost considerably less to leave out active ingredients and replace it with fillers.
    The pharmacy blamed the adderall “shortage” for the generics poor performance. As if a shortage gives the manufacturer the right to sell us defective drugs. In addition, this so called shortage has been going on for years……………..Search it.
    The generics seem to be an extremely watered down version of adderall. Ones that have many miserable and differing side effects, with no real effectiveness. So pull out your cash, step right up, and PICK YOUR POISON.

Careyokey911
    Participant

It’s all so funny I forgot to laugh
    But now that I remember
    Ha
    Ha
    Ha

Not

Careyokey911
    Participant

Well it kind of makes sense that the company named barr is just like a bar ..a little watered down. Like drinks in a bar. But the silver lining is that hey water is good for you isn’t it?
    ,Besides it’s complicated with dosaging. Like pants sizes falling between a size ,34 and 36 waist for pants or bras ..hell burn it all

Careyokey911
    Participant

But speaking of Adderall is this why it’s becoming more of a hassle with fake pills that are not the bioequivalent of the brand Adderall? Because someone there seems to be an endless supply on the internet with ads saying so everywhere there is a blog or post mentioned about a drug?
    Well seriously fuck you salespeople and you too patients giving away a medication for money and not thinking about those of us who truly need the medication to help ease up with life a little by easing symptoms that cause us so many problems in all areas of our lives

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  ADHDmomma.

bythesea81
    Participant

Stever8458
    Participant

Teva has a Facebook page…now you have a voice that isn’t sequestered in a forum. Go let the world know just how much the Teva adderall generic sucks.

tlony
    Participant

My recommendation is to stay away from aurobindo generic Adderall. I got really ill from it. There is another website that has a forum on adderall generics, and one of the contributors is a biochemist. He has analyzed the composition of all adderall generics, including the fillers each company uses, and recommends to find or lobby for the generics with the fewest number of additives. He also provided information on companies that switched manufacturers so that you can assess whether the particular generic you are getting is the same formula that was used by the same purported company a year or two ago. Additionally, he recommended two specific generics, one actually manufacturered by the name brand adderall company. I had no success in finding any pharmacy that would carry the recommended generics. I take TEVA or MYLAN, and while they may not be ideal, I didn’t get the terrible effects from aurobindo. I don’t remember the website, but if you do some searching with key words, you may find it. I actually printed out the information this contributor provided, but perhaps because I have ADHD and have a poor filing system, I would have to search for it. In addition, the best patient assistance program is offered by Vyvanse, which will provide you with a 12-month card that gives you vyvanse for free with a prescription; however, you have to meet maximum income guidelines, and part of the application is submitting a copy of your 1040 tax return.

shyanne
    Participant

ADHD is a neurological thing. A few years back I read this article that helped me understand that better than any doctor or other article I’d read up until that point. It described seeing a child with adhd have a meltdown in a store and other people looking at them like the parent was letting their kid get away with misbehaving. Sort of like…giving snotty looks. But if they saw a child in a store having a seizure, other parents would look at them with empathy. But, they’re both neurological conditions. A child could have 2 seizures one day and 20 another day (despite the medication and/or manufacturer). The article was meant as a means for parents to give to teachers who may not know its neurologically based—it was written by a teacher too. So, sometimes when I take my meds and they don’t work as well one day from the next, I just assume my adhd is in overdrive that day. If that makes sense. However, having said all that, my CVS just changed manufacturers (15mg IR), and this is my second month and I’m not doing it a third. It’s definately the manufacturer because my adhd would never be on overdrive for that long.(?) plus, they are softer and more prone to breaking down in the humidity. The new manufacture they switched to is Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals. The whole thing is weird, confusing, and annoying. Do I like the idea of asking the pharmacist who the manufacturer is before they fill my script? NOT AT ALL! I shouldn’t feel this way but with all the abuse of prescription medications these days, I sometimes feel like they’re judgy. Stop calling it a narcotic. It doesn’t “feel” like what I think a narcotic would feel like because I need them. Giving them my ID when I drop it off AND pick it up is annoying to me as well. I just want to yell “where were you people when you were filling out all the opiate scripts that got 1/4 of the country hooked”. I don’t like venting about that here but then again, WT heck. Sometimes I’d like to drop my script off when I get it instead of having to wait for the day I can get it filled. I have adhd and despite my meds, still misplace things on a regular basis. Ok, enough of all that. My rant is done. Just remember that the nature of adhd is inconsistent in and of itself.

ELLIEMCRAE
    Participant

Here’s the thing though. It does not matter how many voices are heard, we are up against the FDA, okay. They do not care about me nor you. They do not give out information, there is a reason why all these “generic unequivalents” are allowed to be manufactured in countries that we infiltrate “weapons of mass destruction” and serene gas children for oil for.
    People on these threads–let’s stop preaching to the choir. The last thing the middle east needs is another proprietary resource blown up, so stop calling them. Let’s focus on the individuals responsible for Okaying the non-regulation of our generic medications without sounding like crackheads. Let’s outsmart them and claim we all take it for narcolepsy which furthermore puts public safety and our healthcare system at risk…thoughts anyone? Read on…

SO, for you all I have taken time to research some real information:

Google this:

FDA HELPING SMALL BUSINESSES GET BIG RESULTS.
    Read up on CDER SBIA and what their “roles” are inside the FDA as the highest ranking officials working solely on generic medication and sharing the wealth to help economies?
    The NEW YORK TIMES wrote this last year y’all, and moderators—I AM QUOTING…
    You all want some answers on your insurance questions about them making us take brand/generics…Read this article just from 4/2018:
    • Aug. 6, 2017
    This article was written through collaboration between The New York Times and ProPublica, the independent, nonprofit investigative journalism organization.
    It’s standard advice for consumers: If you are prescribed a medicine, always ask if there is a cheaper generic.
    Nathan Taylor, a 3-D animator who lives outside Houston, has tried to do that with all his medications. But when he fills his monthly prescription for Adderall XR to treat his attention-deficit disorder, his insurance company refuses to cover the generic. Instead, he must make a co-payment of $90 a month for the brand-name version. By comparison, he pays $10 or less each month for the five generic medications he also takes.
    “It just befuddles me that they would do that,” said Mr. Taylor, 41.
    A spokesman for his insurer, Humana, did not respond to multiple emails and phone calls requesting comment.
    With each visit to the pharmacy, Mr. Taylor enters the upside-down world of prescription drugs, where conventional wisdom about how to lower drug costs is often wrong.
    Consumers have grown accustomed to being told by insurers — and middlemen known as pharmacy benefit managers — that they must give up their brand-name drugs in favor of cheaper generics. But some are finding the opposite is true, as pharmaceutical companies squeeze the last profits from products that are facing cheaper generic competition.
    Out of public view, corporations are cutting deals that give consumers little choice but to buy brand-name drugs — and sometimes pay more at the pharmacy counter than they would for generics.
    The practice is not easy to track, and has been going on sporadically for years. But several clues suggest it is becoming more common.
    In recent months, some insurers and benefit managers have insisted that patients forgo generics and buy brand-name drugs such as the cholesterol treatment Zetia, the stroke-prevention drug Aggrenox and the pain-relieving gel Voltaren, along with about a dozen others, according to memos and prescription drug claims that pharmacies shared with ProPublica and The New York Times. At the same time, consumers are sounding off on social media.
    Now it appears the practice is spreading to biosimilars, the competitors for expensive, complex biologic drugs that are beginning to arrive on the market.
    Consumers have become increasingly angry over what they pay for drugs, and that outrage has caught the attention of lawmakers from both parties. Democrats have identified lowering drug prices as a pillar of their economic agenda, and President Trump has raised the issue repeatedly. But for now, solutions have proved elusive.
    The continued success of the brand-name drug Adderall XR, long after generic competitors arrived on the market, is a case in point.
    Dr. Lawrence Diller, a behavioral pediatrician in Walnut Creek, Calif., said he began noticing “very odd things” going on with Adderall XR and other attention-deficit drugs about two years ago. He began receiving faxes from pharmacies telling him that he had to specify that patients required brand-name versions of the drugs.
    He had been practicing for 40 years, but until then had never had a pharmacy tell him that he had to prescribe a brand-name drug instead of a generic.
    “It’s Alice-in-Wonderland time in the drug world,” he said.
    Some insurers require members to have prescriptions filled with brand-name drugs and do not charge them more than for generics. But 29 percent of Americans with health insurance paid for by their employer have a high-deductible insurance plan. They acutely feel the cost difference between branded and generic drugs because they often have to pick up the full sticker price of medications until they have paid out thousands of dollars.
    Naomi Freundlich, a Brooklyn writer, had been buying the generic version of Adderall XR for two years to treat her son’s attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Her family had a $3,000 annual deductible, and the relatively lower price helped keep medical costs down.
    Then, in 2014, her pharmacist told her that her insurance plan would cover only the brand-name drug, which cost her family some $50 more a month than the generic. If she paid for the generic herself, it would not have counted toward her deductible. Ms. Freundlich complained to her insurer, UnitedHealthcare, but could not get a clear answer.
    “It’s hard to explain because it doesn’t really make sense,” she said.
    UnitedHealthcare has continued to favor Adderall XR and certain other brand-name drugs over generics, according to claimsprovided by independent pharmacists and reviewed by ProPublica and The Times. The insurer also recently told health providers that it preferred Remicade, the expensive rheumatoid arthritis drug made by Johnson & Johnson, over biosimilars that have a lower list price and are just beginning to come on the market.
    A spokesman for UnitedHealthcare, Matthew N. Wiggin, said the insurer does at times prefer brand-name drugs. “By providing access to these drugs at a lower cost, we are able to improve affordability for our customers and members,” he said in an email.
    Asked whether consumers sometimes ended up paying more because of these choices, he said pharmacies and doctors could seek an exemption from the insurer if they wanted the generic instead. Several patients said they had not been told of that option.
    Shire, the maker of Adderall XR, and some other brand-name drug manufacturers are no longer content to allow sales of their products to plummet when generic competitors arrive on the market. Instead, they are negotiating deals with insurers and pharmacy benefit managers to give priority to their versions. Consumers are given no details about these deals.
    A Shire spokeswoman said the company had been able to hold on to market share for Adderall XR by offering insurers and government programs prices that are competitive with those of generic manufacturers.
    Adderall XR, the long-acting version of Shire’s popular treatment Adderall, had for years been the company’s top-selling product, bringing in $1.1 billion in sales in 2008, about one-third of its revenue that year.
    But mindful that its blockbuster could soon face generic competition, Shire acted aggressively to protect its franchise.
    First, in the mid-2000s, Shire sued generic drug companies to block them from bringing cheaper copies to the market, alleging patent infringement. Then, it made deals with two makers of generic drugs to sell authorized copies of its drug, a tactic in which the branded manufacturer supplies its product in exchange for a share of royalties. Those agreements soured after the two companies, Teva Pharmaceuticals and Impax Laboratories, accused Shire of not playing fair by failing to supply them with enough pills to compete in the marketplace. More lawsuits ensued, followed by settlements.
    Then, a few years ago, Shire tried a new tactic: giving ever-larger discounts to pharmacy benefit managers and insurers for preferential treatment over the generics. That did not mean lowering the list price of the drug, but rather negotiating rebates that were paid not to the patients but to insurers and middlemen such as CVS Caremark.
    Benefit managers and insurers have been passionate advocates of generic drugs, arguing that the cheaper products save patients and their employers billions of dollars. Indeed, generic drugs have come to dominate the market, and today account for nearly 90 percent of all prescriptions filled in the United States.
    Shire has managed to hold on to a much larger share of the market through its deals than most companies do when their drugs come off patent and face generic competition.
    Adderall XR, the brand-name version of extended-release mixed amphetamine salts, accounted for 29 percent of the 13.1 million prescriptions for the drug in 2016, according to QuintilesIMS, a health information company that purchases the data from pharmacies and sells it to clients that include drug companies. The average market share of brand-name products dwindles to less than 6 percent two years after the first generic competitor arrives, according to QuintilesIMS.
    The list price of Adderall XR has remained $7.12 per pill since mid-2012. But according to data from SSR Health, a research firm that tracks drug prices, the portion that Shire keeps has steadily declined.
    In the first quarter of 2017, SSR estimated that Shire kept only $1.73, down from $2.93 per pill in the first quarter of 2013. Shire does not break out how much it pays to each middleman in the system, from distributors to pharmacy benefit managers.
    But Ryan Baum, an analyst at SSR Health, said it was clear that Shire’s declining share of the list price reflected “just a really aggressive instance of trying to hang on.”
    “It’s irrefutable, really,” he added.
    In contrast, the generics cost as low as $3.89 per pill, but that does not include unspecified concessions that generic makers offer to pharmacies and distributors, according to Truven Health Analytics, another research firm that tracks the prices wholesalers pay for drugs.
    A spokeswoman for Shire, Gwendolyn Fisher, said that while Shire did not make decisions about how much patients paid in out-of-pocket costs, “Shire is helping to deliver cost savings to the system and greater patient access to an important medicine.”

If we want to be heard we need to bombard these people:
    -Christine Baeder, senior vice president for customer and marketing operations at Teva
    -Brenda Stodart, Pharm.D. Captain, United States Public Health Service, Program Director at the FDA’s CDER Small Business and Industry Assistance Program, Division of Drug Information
    -Renu Lal –CONNECT WITH HER VIA LINKED IN. YEP SHE IS MIDDLE EASTERN:
    Pharmacist in FDA’s Division of Drug Information – Small Business and Industry Assistance
    Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina Area
    Government Administration

Brenda Stoddart:
    (866)-405-5367
    (301)-796-6707
    CDER Small Business and Industry Assistance
    CDER Small Business and Industry Assistance
    Office of Communications
    10001 New Hampshire Avenue
    Hillandale Building, 4th Floor
    Silver Spring, MD 20993
    Brenda Stodart, Pharm.D., Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, 301-796-6707, CDERSmallBusiness@fda.hhs.gov.

They claim this is what they do; written by Miss Stoddart, herself:
    By: Brenda Stodart, Pharm.D., and Renu Lal, Pharm. D.
    It is well known that small business is vital to the success of the American economy. Less known, though, is how instrumental it has been to the growth and innovation in drug development. We may think of the pharmaceutical industry in terms of giant corporations, but the fact is that there are hundreds of small firms – with very few employees – that are developing many of the important drugs that we use every day. FDA defines a small business as one with fewer than 500 employees (including employees of affiliates), but many are much smaller. Industry sources indicate that, over the past decade or so, more than half of the novel drugs (i.e., those not previously marketed in the United States) developed in this country and approved by FDA, have been developed by small companies. Small companies also impact the generic drug industry creating market choice, competition, and increased access. According to FDA data, of the 2,176 new and generic drug applications submitted to the agency in 2014-2015, at least 639, or about 29 percent, were submitted by firms with fewer than 500 employees. Small companies have certain advantages. They can be nimble with decision-making and can quickly progress with new ideas. A smaller drug development pipeline allows them to focus on a single or few products. But they also have unique challenges. A small workforce tends to require employees to wear multiple hats, as opposed to their larger counterparts who typically employ teams of specialists. And because many small companies are focused on developing one drug at a time, they often operate on a “high reward-high risk” model. There is a smaller margin for error for a small company that has invested all its resources in developing one drug than for a large company that is able to spread its risk across several products it is developing simultaneously. For many years, to help level the playing field, FDA has been assisting small pharmaceutical companies to maximize their opportunities for success. The Generic Drug Forum on April 4-5, 2017, is one example of the work we do to support small businesses. Organized by FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research Small Business and Industry Assistance (SBIA) staff, representatives from a wide range of pharmaceutical companies will gather to learn about the development, testing, For many years, to help level the playing field, FDA has been assisting small pharmaceutical companies to maximize their opportunities for success. The Generic Drug Forum on April 4-5, 2017, is one example of the work we do to support small businesses. Organized by FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research Small Business and Industry Assistance (SBIA) staff, representatives from a wide range of pharmaceutical companies will gather to learn about the development, testing, review, and approval of generic drugs. CDER SBIA holds at least four meetings a year as part of a series called the Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) conferences.review, and approval of generic drugs. CDER SBIA holds at least four meetings a year as part of a series called the Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) conferences. REdI conferences typically attract significant international attendance (in-person or via webcast). This global reach is important, as about 80 percent of active pharmaceutical ingredients used in U.S-manufactured drugs come from more than 150 different countries. The map below shows the geographic distribution of our most recent REdI conference registrants. Thirty percent of registrants were from outside the U.S., representing 55 countries worldwide.
    Many of these companies have never submitted an application for approval to FDA. Whether new or experienced, many are very early in the drug development process. In CDER’s SBIA program, 43 percent of the companies we work with have fewer than 100 employees, and 17 percent have fewer than 10 employees.
    Although the mission of CDER SBIA is to help small business, our educational products are available to the entire pharmaceutical industry. In addition to REdI conferences, SBIA also offers webinars with live question and answer sessions by FDA subject matter experts on timely topics of interest to small companies.
    SBIA recently held a half-day live webinar, which featured CDER experts from the Office of Pharmaceutical Quality (OPQ) discussing specific microbiology issues. CDER SBIA also provides a variety of helpful resources including a bimonthly electronic newsletter, CDER SBIA Chronicles, an audio podcast, CDERLearn, and online tutorials developed by CDER subject matter experts. We also interact with our constituents through our presentations and exhibits at conferences, and we are always available to help out via phone and e-mail. All slides, webcasts, and documents that we develop to help small companies are posted on the CDER SBIA Learn webpage after the event. REdI conferences and all other SBIA services are available at no cost to all who wish to attend and participate, which is particularly helpful to smaller companies with limited resources.
    At a time when quality manufacturing and the safety and effectiveness of drugs in development is as important as ever, CDER understands that providing support to small businesses through education and resources is vital to advancing innovation and protecting public health.
    Brenda Stodart, Pharm.D., Captain, United States Public Health Service, is a Program Director at FDA’s CDER Small Business and Industry Assistance Program, Division of Drug Information
    Renu Lal, Pharm.D., is a pharmacist at FDA’s Division of Drug Information, CDER Small Business and Industry Assistance Program

I already inmailed Renu Lau to see if she would have a conversation with me through Linked In, but she is based out of North Carolina.
    Oh, and get this. I clicked on this link ON THE FDA’s WEBSITE:
    CDER Small Business and Industry Assistance (CDER SBIA) Contacts. FDA has representatives who exclusively help small businesses whose products are regulated by FDA. These individuals can provide information that clarifies how agency laws and regulations apply to specific circumstances and suggest methods of meeting those requirements. They can respond to inquiries, conduct or participate in workshops and conferences, or visit your plant, at your request, to offer assistance.

I GOT PAGE NOT FOUND.

MIC DROP.

HERE IS A COMPLETE LIST OF CONTACTS ON GENERICS:
    OFFICE OF GENERIC DRUGS (OGD) DIRECTOR Kathleen (Cook) Uhl, M.D. 240-402-7920 WO 75/Rm. 1692 Deputy Director John Peters, M.D. 240-402-3876 WO 75/Rm. 1690 Administrative Support Assistant Michelle Devlin 240-402-2521 WO 75/Rm. 1695 Clinical Safety Surveillance Staff (CSSS) Director Howard Chazin, M.D. 240-402-8271 WO 75/Rm. 1682 Program Management and Analysis Staff (PMAS) Director Carla Jones, M.S. 301-796-7072 WO 75/Rm. 1653 Communications Staff (CS) Director Kathryn Amatrudo, M.B.A. (Acting) 240-402-0225 WO 75/Rm. 1664 Regulatory Affairs Team (RAT) Supervisory Associate Director Mary J. Dempsey 240-402-7926 WO 75/Rm. 1708 OFFICE OF RESEARCH AND STANDARDS (ORS) Director Robert A. Lionberger, Ph.D. 240-402-7957 WO 75/Rm. 4722 Deputy Director Lei Zhang, Ph.D. 301-796-1635 WO 75/Rm. 4724 Division of Therapeutic Performance (DTP) Director Markham Luke, M.D. 301-796-5556 WO 75/Rm. 4712 Deputy Director Xiaohui (Jeff) Jiang, Ph.D. 240-402-7964 WO 75/Rm. 4716 Division of Quantitative Methods and Modeling (DQMM) Director Liang Zhao, Ph.D. 240-402-4468 WO 75/Rm. 4702 31 | Page Deputy Director Myong-Jin Kim, Ph.D. 301-796-1553 WO 75/Rm. 4682 OFFICE OF BIOEQUIVALENCE (OB) Director Dale Conner, Pharm.D. 240-402-3914 WO 75/Rm. 2718 Deputy Director Trueman Sharp, M.D. 301-796-8191 WO 75/Rm. 2720 Division of Bioequivalence I (DBI) Director Bing Li, Ph.D. 240-402-3916 WO75/Rm. 2674 Deputy Director Utpal Munshi, Ph.D. 240-402-3918 WO 75/Rm. 2682 Division of Bioequivalence II (DBII) Director Ethan Stier, Ph.D. 240-402-3962 WO 75/Rm. 2714 Deputy Director Xiaojian Jiang, Ph.D. 240-402-3964 WO 75/Rm. 2728 Division of Bioequivalence III (DBIII) Director Nilufer Tampal, Ph.D. 240-402-3915 WO 75/ Rm. 2688 Deputy Director April Braddy, Ph.D. 240-402-3917 WO 75/Rm. 2702 Division of Clinical Review Director Sarah Yim, M.D. 301-796-1960 WO 75/Rm. 2522 Deputy Director Daiva Shetty, M.D. 240-402-3866 WO 75/Rm. 2518

the dancer
    Participant

Hello all,

I have been following this thread for a few weeks as I am taking generic adderall and have noticed some irregularities; it is minimal. Mostly in the time it takes for the medication to take effect and in the side effects when it leaves the system. I asked my pharmacist to fill my script with one brand and to not mix the two; he was accommodating. Currently I am under – medicated – I tend to not to take the medication when I am doing remedial tasks over a period of a few days or longer. The flip side of this, if I have to read and write, it takes me longer to put my ideas together, especially if there is emotion involved.

In regards to insurance, I would prefer the name brand. I feel the name brand would offer consistent results in the manufacturing of the medication. Taking a generic bothers me. Each generic med has its own ‘recipe'(are there regulations in place to manage consistency?) which makes it difficult to count on the results, especially if pharmacists fill your script with multiple generic ‘recipes’- thus my request to fill one script with one generic brand.

I am making it work for now but leaning towards low to no usage of meds by creating a lifestyle that suits how I think and behave. Working with my partner on this, is especially groovy, mostly because our hearts are in the right place and only good can come from such an awesome collaboration. Human connection is the key behind any medical solution.

@McRae Thank you for your comprehensive research into the generic med market!

d

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.