Generic Adderall

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  TerrenceWelsch 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Beth
    Participant

Hello- I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD 6 months ago. I’ve found that Adderall (generic) can help me focus, calms me,and makes dealing with life just overall less overwhelming. I went so many years just feeling so different and not knowing what was wrong.

Anyhow, the thing is – from month to month – the effects I get from the AuroBindo Generic Adderall I take (30 mg IR daily. really varies. Some months it helps (like that first month)and others it just makes me feel cloudy headed, scattered, unable to focus, and wanting to sleep a great deal. In other wards awful.

Does anyone here relate to having this situation where the effects/quality – of their ADHD genetic medication does not seem consistent on a month to month basis?

And, even more specifically has anyone else been given the generic for Adderral from a company called Aurobindo and experienced problems with it. I can’t help but wonder if another generic might be of better quality ?

My pharmacy seems to only carry the Aurobindo generic and my insurance doesn’t cover the name brand that I’d imagine would be very costly.

It’s just frustrating to have something be helpful one month and then awful the next. I find mindfulness and cognitive therapy helps me too. Yet, it would be nice to know if maybe I should be having a talk with my Dr. or pharmacy about trying another generic brand of Adderral. I’m afraid they will just say that all generics are the same etc.and not take me seriously.

Anyone with any thoughts or feedback related to my post ? I’d be grateful to listen:)

Beth

Beth
    Participant

Also-when the Aurobindo Adderal helps – it allows me to focus, calms me, and overall clears my mind and allows me to accomplish things versus being sort of paralyzed with a sense of everything being just so overwhelming that I feel like I really don’t know where to begin..but for whatever the reason – some months it’s just awful.
    Beth

Gazettechan
    Participant

I haven’t experienced this kind of situation. Must be hard. I hope you get the right answer.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Is it possible that you are getting different generics? There can be a pretty big difference in the efficacy of generics (like up to 25 or 30%, I think). Seems unlikely that the same manufacturer is changing formulation, but pharmacies change the brands they stock pretty frequently.

Name-Brand Prescriptions vs. Generic Drugs

You can ask the pharmacy to stock a different generic for you. We’ve done that before and most don’t mind doing it.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

alcx46
    Participant

I take generic Adderall as well and I do notice variations. I haven’t gone through the trouble of tracking which generic I’m on and how I feel, but there are times when I feel level headed/focused, there are times when I feel like I’ve taken nothing more than a placebo, and there are times when I feel like maybe my dose is too high (anxious, irritable, on-edge). I haven’t been able to pinpoint any specific generic to these variations – sometimes it varies from day to day even with the same generic. I’ve been through Teva, Core Pharma LLC, and my next bottle of 30s is from Aurobindo, so I’ll try to be mindful of how I feel once I start them and keep you updated. It’s important to note that there are so many other factors that can affect how this medication is absorbed and how it affects you. Taking it with/without food, the type of food you take it with (alkaline foods are going to increase/prolong the effects, acidic foods will do the opposite, taking it with a high fat meal may give you a steadier effect throughout the day). Hormones, external stressors, and caffeine intake are other factors.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  alcx46. Reason: Typos/grammar nazi=P

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

@alcx46 makes a good point: what you eat and other factors can affect medication efficacy from one day to the next. You should definitely avoid citrus and citric acid (found in soda and other foods), within 2 hours of taking medication for optimal results. Maybe try tracking your food intake and medication efficacy each day for a few weeks and see if there’s a pattern to days it doesn’t seem to work as well.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

agoswift
      Participant

hi, i started concerta and my blood sugar falls.this happens on any stimulant,even coffee.y does this happen? also after taking concerta i fell asleep.thanks for any help!

MorGan73
    Participant

I used to have great results with corepharma and have been on that generic for over a year. As of late that particular brand has been harder to get. Every pharmacy always changes there generic because of pricing so I was told. MYLAN and AUROBINDO to me are horrible, absolutely do nothing and give me severe headaches. I told my doctor to switch me to generic adderall xr to see if that would work better. I take 60mg daily and also on 20mg of generic Celexa to help with the aggression side effect. Good Luck on your journey because it is always an uphill battle with meds. I can’t afford name brand medication because my 1300 a month Insurance won’t cover it. Having this condition, being over 40, a wife, a mom and a women with crazy hormones I don’t see any relief in my future. I hope you can find the right balance because I have yet to.

Beth
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Morgan 73

Im so sorry for your struggles. Oh boy can I relate to having “crazy hormones”-I’m now 54 – and those have evened out some after a very difficult menopause and then hysterectomy. I’ll hope you find the relief you so crave – I truly do. Being a mom and a wife too – I know my hormonal struggles along with ADHD sometimes had me less patient then I know I’m capable of being. I don’t know how old your kiddos are – mine are teenagers and one is off to college. So in my 40s-they were growing up and quite young in my early 40s. Along with the ADHD – Ive had periods of depression and also anxiety. I found Lahmictal helped me with evening out my mood – (verbal aggression from ADHD medications has been a side effect for me too unfortunately). Inconsistencies among generic medications certainly don’t help. As you already know – finding a medication or medications that are helpful is a very individual search. I tried quite a few medications before hitting upon the ones that have been helpful to me.

I worry sometimes about all the young kids out there who aren’t able to really describe if they are having a bad experience with a generic ADHD medication. This wasn’t my situation but I often will wonder how those little ones could be affected by all this variance amongst different generic ADHD medications!

Weirdly my most recent refill of the Aurobindo Adderral 10mg IR seems to be helping my ADHD challenges. Sigh, who knows what next month will bring. Name brands are completely out of my financial reach as well – so here we are stuck with varying generics. I wonder if they even make name brand Adderral IR! If so, I’d imagine it would be wildly expensive.

I hope your AdderralXR with the Celexa will help you. I really do. (How frustrating for you too- to have had the Corepharm helping-only to be switched to Aurobindo that was not helping you). I wish you all the best. I believe you will find the relief you so badly want. There is hope – just keep on searching for what will help you. My thoughts are to keep on trying different things- The motto progress not perfection always gives me a little peace. Also learning some mindfleness and cognitive therapy skills have been helpful in dealing with my ADHD and well, (and life in general. I will keep you in my thoughts that you find the medications and other strategies that help you feel better.

Beth

Beth
    Participant

Hi alcx46

Thank you (and everyone!) for taking the time to respond to my concerns.

I’m just wondering if you’ve tried the Aurobindo yet and if so – what has your experience with it been like?

Hopefully it’s helping you.

I’m definately interested to hear.

Thanks again for responding. I’m going to look into the foods that can decrease absorption. I’m not sure why it’s the case , but I did read that antacids and s Adderall are a bad mix. This has forced me to stop taking my medication for Acid Reflux because I’m scared of how it would interact with Adderall in my body.

Beth

donja.bunnell
    Participant

Hi –

I just wanted to say I tried the Aurobindo generic for Adderall. It is ridiculously crappy. I’d been on the Corepharma generic for a couple of years then all of a sudden Fred Meyer wasn’t carrying it anymore. I received the Aurobindo brand instead for one month. It was horrible. It was like not being on anything. I went to Costco the following month and they gave me the Mallinckrodt generic. I don’t mind this one. Anyone who tells you that all generics are the same is full of it. If you look up Aurobindo generic with Google you will find a bunch of complaints. Just thought I’d pass it on.

Beth
    Participant

Hi-

I just kept hoping it was my imagination that a generic could be so awful. I’m going to call around to see what other generics might be available in my area. I feel a bit afraid to ask my pharmacist to order a different type because he may well just tell me all generics are the same. The mind is a powerful thing and I way to quickly jumped to a conclusion that the Aurobindo was somehow sometimes helping me my ADHD challenges.

It was my imagination, because when I took the time to track how the Aurobindo was working (using a form intended for that
    Purpose)- the results were bssically “not at all. It often makes me tired and puts me to sleep – to make matters Even worse.

I like to get my medications from the same small privately owned pharmacy-so I guess it can not hurt to ask if they could pride a different generic. If not, I’ll have to call around.

I don’t understand how the FDA lets such crappy generics be given to people. And – it’s scaring me to think of kids being given this placebo like generic. I’m going to write a complaint to the FDA (as I read others have complained as well).

Thanks everyone for helping me realize I can be proactive in regards to the medication aspect of treating my ADHD.

Beth

MorGan73
    Participant

Hi Beth
    That’s for you u kind words in your earlier post. I am sorry to hear that AUROBINDO is not working for you. I really hoped it was just me and someone would benefit from it. Generic adderall has been a nightmare for me as of late. Pharmacies barely have it and what they do have is crap. I hate wasting my time calling and driving from one pharmacy to the next being treated like a drug addict just to find the corepharma brand. As I said previously I got my doc to switch me to generic xr just to see if that made a difference. It has been a challenge figuring out how to get the dosing correct for my body. I’m on 60 mg daily, 20mg pills and before I would take a whole pill at 6:00am and split the rest throughout the day. My headaches would become so severe at 3:00 pm I hardly ever got my last dose in at 5:00pm. With the ER I take one 30mg at 6:00am and then take the other 30 at 10:00/11:00. I find that helps me better throughout the day. The ER generic is ACTAVIS. So far I’m not sleepy like before and I can actually get things accomplished. I still have a hard time with decision making and procrastination. I didn’t have this effect with the corepharma brand. I think it is s so sad that we as private insurance payers have to deal with generics at all. Medicaid recipients get all their meds brand name and I can’t afford any that may actually help me because they don’t come in a generic and my 1300 a month Insurance will only pay 80% of brand name medications. That sounds great until you find out that the medication is 1000 a month. Being 44 a am going to do the hormone test that my OBGYN is referring. That is costing me a 300 Co pay just for a saliva test, then I have to pay 100 just to test my Cortisol the same way. Being a woman and dealing with ADD have been a very difficult battle. I hope by being on this forum we can help each other find our own path to sanity by sharing our experiences. Everything is trial and error and a lot of wasted money and time to find the comfort we seek in our minds. That is my rant for today but I hope it will help others find their way.

drewgundy
    Participant

Until today, I didn’t know different manufacturers made the generic Adderall. I humorously thought that it was all manufactured by the same place. I guess I never cared enough to look into it or even think about it. I’ve always teased people for buying name brand without even understanding the process. A jerk move, I know. Anyway, I started filling my prescription at Smith’s because it was the cheapest. The pills looked different and seemed softer. I figured that they would get into my system faster, so I was happy about that. Also, I hadn’t taken Adderall in a couple of weeks because I had run out. I do that on purpose a few times a year thinking that it will help me to keep from building up too much of a tolerance. Anyway, the pills just didn’t work well. I didn’t blame the pills, I simply blamed myself for allowing my body to build up a tolerance. I spoke to my doctor about alternatives, but they were too expensive for me. So, I kept taking what I had since that was better than nothing. Long story short, I filled my prescription at Walgreens yesterday and took my pill this morning and felt “normal”, which led to me doing a Google search for “are generic prescriptions different from pharmacy to pharmacy?”. I had no idea there were different manufacturers until today. So, the brand that was just “better than nothing” was Aurobindo. The one I highly prefer is Teva. I’m sure other brands are great too, but I don’t plan on getting them when Teva works great for me.

sweetshaunna
    Participant

Hi, yes I have also experienced problems with my 15 mg generic Adderall manufactured by Aurobindo. The generic I had before worked just fine! Helped slow my mind and improved focus with no side effects. Than when I picked up my new script the pharmacist informed me that the pills may look different as they switched brands. I thought nothing of it until later. The first couple days of taking the Aurobindo pills were very uncomfortable. My heart was racing, couldnt focus or think clearly, was mashing my teeth together, started a weird nervous twitch with my toes. Honestly I could keep going too about all the side effects. It took me a few days of this before I got fed up and started racking my brain for why i felt this way. Put all the facts together, stopped taking my generic Adderall and i felt fine. Took it the next day, same horrible symptoms. I’ve looked into it a bit and have seen several articles about Aurobindo getting in trouble with not just the FDA but other countries quality control as well. And that an issue may also be allergies to different inactive ingredients. It appears that most of Aurobindo meds are produced in India which is not as regulated by the FDA as you’d think it would be. So you are not crazy! There is A LOT of complaints Ive found towards Aurobindo medications.

MorGan73
    Participant

I have talked about this specific brand before and it is trash. I always ask what brand to pharmacy has before I get mine filled which leads me to going to several pharmacies and getting treated like a drug user. This company should be banned from selling this. I have terrible reactions to the fillers and it absolutely does nothing for my ADD. I am 44, Mom of three and deal with a lot of stress which requires my full mental focus. Teva is my favorite but it’s getting harder to find. I pay 1300.00 a month for insurance which is now going up to 1800.00 and can’t afford the brand name adderall. Maybe I should quick my job, get divorced and file for assistance to be able to get the good stuff. There is no winning. I pray for each and everyone who is struggling with trying to manage ADD like me on there own. I have yet to find the right combination of meds and I was diagnosed at 40. It is a constant struggle. You are not alone.

rgoodrich
    Participant

Thank you for posting this information! I had no idea that there were different generic manufacturers. I just pulled out my bottles and see that my first prescription for 10mg pills was made by Aurobindo. I had a difficult time finding the right dosage because I had such severe palpitations and headaches. I’m on my third bottle, which is now 7mg pills, and these are made by Teva. I have been perplexed because I feel very different on these pills. I’ve even wondered if I need to increase the dose. But maybe it’s because I’m not feeling the racing heart that I had come to associate with the Aurobindo medication. Obviously it’s worth paying attention to our responses to the different sources. Thanks again!

MorGan73
    Participant

If you can get Teva definitely stick with that. I have switched to extended release to see if that would ease my headaches since I take 60mg daily. I still can’t seem to fill in the gaps of when I feel like the medication is falling short of doing it’s job. I got better results on the regular Teva generic adderall splitting it up throughout the day. It seems that the major pharmacies have stopped caring that generic at least where I live. My experience with the extended release so far has been a challenge. I hope people in out similar situation will really pay attention to what generics they are consuming. AUROBINDO would make my vision blurry, have a lot of aggression, constantly grind my teeth to where I actually broke a filling, twitch and feel overall like crap. I would rather go without than to ever take that generic again.

eggspert
    Participant

Almost all walmarts pharmacy and Walgreens carry is Teva.. Be careful not every walmart wil take discount cards if you pay with cash same as Walgreens and you wont even knoe until they are finished how much you will save on 146.00 average price at Walgreens for 90 tablets. And walmart was 125.00 average but their price varies depending on side of town. If thet are only two miles away both wallgreens will give you same price for example. But its basically up to pharmacist accepting coupon where ever you go, discount cards on schedule drugs others will say no then give you well we wont know until you are here. Hello my dr sends e scrips for crying out loud! I cant keep going around requesting he fax different pharmacies for me due to these ridiculous issues different policies different locations have..ridiculous

MYFIGHT
    Participant

I got my first rx for Adderall last Thursday. Dropped it off at the grocery store pharmacy same day…tried to pick it up on Saturday, was told it wasn’t in stock, that it would be in on the following Tuesday (today…). Called to check, nope…not in. Hasn’t been in stock for over two months.

Called Costco, they have it in stock…Mallen-croft is the manufacturer. Now I have to go to the store, pick up the hard copy rx, turn around and drive back to Costco, drop it off and have them fill it…

Hope this stuff works…

TerrenceWelsch
    Participant

That sounds really frustrating. I know that adderal ccan be a big help, but I’ve suffered the same point of it losing efficacy over time. Maybe it’s tolerance related. Ive been searching for long term healing options with a more natural edge, because while I fully support anyone who gains benefit from add/adhd medication, it has some unwelcome side effects for me, personally. I’m sure you’ve heard of it’s potential benefits, but I’ve been seeing a lot of info pop up on CBD and it’s benefits in this regard. It seems the onset might be a bit slower but potentially more lasting. I found some good info here if it’s something you’re interested in

Home New

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.