Generic vs brand

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Generic vs brand

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sra321
      Participant

Need guidance.

Was FINALLY diagnosed with ADD at the age of 29 (a month ago) and started on 18 mg of the generic brand concerta. As you can imagine, it has been absolutely wonderful and life changing with little side affects. My doctor upped it to 27 (as was the plan) but my company just changed insurance and only the brand name was covered. I didnt think much of it as i was told its the same meds, but the brand name concerta seems to not be working at all. I know it sounds crazy but its as if im not on any meds, to the point that i took a nap yesterday on it while on the 17 mg i was completely unable to sleep at all. Does this make any sense?

Thank you all for your help.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Hmm… Doesn’t really make sense, but that’s not to discount what you’re experiencing. Most people are finding that the generics aren’t working. That’s why some insurance providers have moved to covering on the brand medication.

It might make sense to start back at the lowest dose and titrate up again, but that’s a discussion for your doctor.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.