Generic Concerta works better than Name Brand

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Generic Concerta works better than Name Brand

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

maya2001
    Participant

So I was just recently diagnosed with ADD this year, and the generic concerta was the first medication I tried. I started at 18mg and went up to 36mg and it worked amazingly, I was productive and functional and I finally felt like I had control over my life. But because of how irritable it made me I ended up switching to adderall (20mg) to see if there would be less side effects, but it didn’t work at all. I switched back to concerta but since the generic brand was no longer being manufactured I switched to the name brand and it still didn’t work. I’ve been switching dosages for two months now, I’m currently up to 72mg but nothing is working.
    I’ve seen several posts on the generic concerta not being a functional ADHD drug but it was the only one that ever worked for me, and now that its not being prescribed anymore I don’t know what to do. Even when I’m taking the name brand concerta I can’t function any better than if I wasn’t taking any medication at all, other than it keeping me awake during the day. I don’t understand how one type of medication with the same drug can work so perfectly but another do nothing at all.
    I thought it was because of how it is released in the body, since the generic was just released in two big dosages rather than constantly like the name brand was. So with that logic should immediate release medication work better for me than the extended release? That’s the only rational I’ve come to, but when I asked my doctor about it she didn’t say much to confirm or deny it.
    I’m at a loss, I don’t know what to do and I just don’t understand why nothing else works at all compared to the generic medication I was on at first.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There are several different manufacturers of the generic Concerta. I know CVS only fills with the Trigen generic. It would be best to find out which generic you were taking successfully and then ask your pharmacy to order it for you.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.