Generic Concerta Options

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Generic Concerta Options

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      adhdredmondmom
      Participant

Hi,

I have just received a wonderful letter from my insurance informing me that starting next year it will no longer cover brand name Concerta for my son. They are suggesting other ‘alternatives’ except we have already tried Vyvanse and generic, non-OROS, Concerta version and both were a complete failures. My son is thriving on brand Concerta and I am having a panic attack just thinking about switching him and playing games with his brain chemistry because of frigging insurance. The level of anger I feel towards insurances and pharmaceuticals is indescribable right now.

But, on a more constructive level, has anyone had any luck forcing insurance to cover brand Concerta because you have already tried Vyvanse and generics?
      Or, is the OROS generic version by Teva still available anywhere? I am getting conflicting answers online, on one hand I read that this drug has been discontinued, but at the same time it is still listed on the Teva website: https://www.tevagenerics.com/product/methylphenidate-hydrochloride-extended-release-tablets-usp-cii
      and last I asked at Walgreens (June 18), they still carried it. So has it been discontinued and Walgreens just selling off the last of its stock?
      I also stumbled on an article saying that an OROS generic has been approved in Canada, has anyone ever tried ordering medications from there online? I live 3 hours away from the border, I could also drive there 🙂

Thank you!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

When Concerta generics were released, I immediately noticed a drastic difference and it was bad. Our prescribing doctor submitted what he needed to to our insurance to say that brand was “medically necessary.” He also wrote that on the prescriptions and we were able to get brand covered for a few years.

The generic with the OROSis now manufactured under Actavis or Janssen. There are new generics again, and again, they don’t have this time-release mechanism that makes Concerta what it is. Many pharmacies are filling the new generics, but I found that Walgreens was still using Actavis for generic prescriptions. Call the pharmacies ahead of time until you find one that carries or will order for you the Actavis generic.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.