Fuzzy and fluffy cravings

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Fuzzy and fluffy cravings

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ranma
      Participant

I’ve been under a lot of stress lately, and I’ve been really craving the feel of fuzzy and fluffy things.
      I’ve always like fluffy fuzzy things, but recently it’s become more like a need.
      Is this something to do with sensory integration problems?

Spaceboy 99
      Participant

Hey Ranma 🙂

I can’t find anything anywhere about the craving of fluffy things in regards to ADHD, but I DO know that it’s often recommended for people experiencing large amounts of stress and anxiety to have/hold/stroke, or otherwise manipulate fuzzy, fluffy things. That’s one of the reasons that emotional support animals are a thing. In addition to the unconditional love that comes from such an animal, the act of stroking and petting an animal actively calms you.

I’d argue that your brain is reacting to the fact that you are under stress, and is trying to get you to do something to calm you down. As a rule, unless your cravings are harmful, it’s generally a good idea to obey them- your body craves the things that, for whatever reason, it needs. For reasons that were unknown to me for years, whenever I received injuries that were more severe than the every day variety, I had an unbelievable craving for ice cream. I learned a few years ago that it was less the ice cream itself that I was craving, and more the sugar, because it helps you stave off shock. It’s also the same when you get the urge to leave whatever situation is causing you the stress- you don’t really know why you want to leave, you just know you HAVE to get out.

If by ‘sensory integration issues’ you mean ‘Sensory Overload’, hypersensitivity, and similar things, then my (uneducated) guess would be that it’s actually unrelated to this. From my experience, sensory overload is an aversion-based issue, rather than a desire-based one. You will naturally gravitate towards the things that are not problematic for you, but I’ve never heard of hypersensitive symptoms driving you directly towards a favourable outcome. That tends to be more of an ADHD thing 😉

To help with the issue (I seem to remember you saying you’re based in India (I might be wrong), so this may be a bit harder for you), but if you can find a store that makes clothes-making supplies, specifically knitting supplies, you might be able to find a hat ‘bobble’, the fluffy thing on top of a knitted hat. These come in many varieties, but a lot of them are very fluffy, and very cheap, at least in the areas I come from. Alternatively, you could maybe order one (or ten) online. You can keep one in your pocket to use when you feel a little overwhelmed.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Fluttermind
      Participant

A bit late, but I only just joined. I also have a strong affinity for fuzzy/fluffy/puffy things. I wonder if it’s some sort of sensory processing thing – I get easily overwhelmed by lots of sensory input, but find interacting with the fuzzy things soothing, and my cousin’s son has been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder, so maybe it runs in the family. Lil cousin’s sensory issues are severe enough to put him in disorder territory, while it’s a benign quirk for me.

Anyhow, I recommmend obtaining some alpaca things if you are able – alpaca teddy bears are THE BEST (yes I totally have one). Clothing items made from alpaca wool are also lovely, but not quite as good as the things made from hides (the hides come from alpacas that have died of natural causes), like the teddy bears or throw pillows.

Ranma
        Participant

I’ve had a few nasty experiences with natural furs, so I steer clear of them, I’m not against furs just not a fan.
        I do have a couple really fuzzy lined Henleys that I love, my next trip to the fabric store I’m going to look for something similar that I can sew into plushies I’ll copy from my favorite animes (authentic ones can get pricey or not available anymore) might have to borrow my nieces sewing machine, my machine is old and I haven’t ordered the parts It needs yet.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Ranma.
Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.