Funny Stories About ADHD Symptoms

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Funny Stories About ADHD Symptoms

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jadetheeternallyconfused 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

greyisprettyrad
    Participant

I thought it would be fun to share some funny stories about ADHD or the symptoms, since I just thought of one of my own.
    Every Friday, my uncle and sometimes my grandma come over and we play a board game. I had just gotten a new game and I was trying to read the instructions so I could explain it to everyone else. We were all joking around and no one was really paying attention to me trying to explain it because my sister and uncle were messing around, and I kept jokingly sassing my family members.
    It was pretty late and my ADHD medicine had worn off hours before, so I was tired and not focusing very well. So I asked everyone multiple times to be quiet so I could read and explain it to them, but they kept talking. Eventually I went “Hey, I can’t read if y’all are talking so shhhhhh!!” and my grandma laughed and said “well you have a problem then” and I looked at her and said, “Yeah, it’s called ADHD, grandma.”
    I wasn’t really trying to be funny, I was hardly even thinking straight, but everyone lost it. I didn’t mean to make her sound like a bad person or anything I was just sassing her jokingly again, but she felt bad and I told her I didn’t mean that she was a bad person.

Ranma
    Participant

It would be funny if I could have asystem busy icon on my glasses when I stop mid word talking to someone and a thought interrupts.

hjordisaa
    Participant

I love this idea! I’m feeling pretty crummy about myself right now. Humor should help.

The story that comes to mind was probably from my freshman year of high school. My friend was hanging out at my house and she discovered the frozen mini chocolate chip muffins in my freezer. She asked to have one, plopped it in the microwave, and set it to high for three mi it’s. I saw this happen, registered that three minutes was way too long and it’d be hot in just thirty seconds. I thought to myself, “It’s fine, I’ll just stop the microwave in like half a minute. My friend had already gotten distracted and had wandered from the kitchen to my room. She would be diagnosed with ADHD in just a year or so. But guess what? I got distracted too and followed her to my room. When we returned to the kitchen a while later it was filled with smoke. It reeked of smoke. The muffin in the microwave was all black, just ash.

So yeah, two ADHD girls tried to reheat a muffin, forget, and set it on fire. Oops!

foncused
    Participant

Thanks for the story. I have a strict rule for myself about not leaving the kitchen when something’s cooking on the stove. I’ve lost too many pots that way.

I’m not diagnosed with ADD, although counselors have suggested it. The main reason not is that I did well in school, and can’t remember much about those years. On current behavior, I hit almost every point, and have for decades.

hjordisaa
      Participant

Hey foncused, I did well in school too! But when I think of why I did well, the ADHD starts to make sense. My grades should’ve been lower because I never did my homework. But I either whipped it out as it was being collected, or my teachers bumped my grade because they liked me and knew I knew the material. I got away with it undiagnosed because I was charming, very smart, and because the environment around me had very high standards for success. It’s like they dragged me upwards.

If you’re curious but not very interested in an ADHD diagnosis, consider neuropsych testing on executive functioning.

Katherine
    Participant

This is a great story! I don’t have ADHD/ ADD, but my 19-year-old son does and I’m a child psychologist with a specialization in ADHD. I think it’s so important for others to know what someone with ADHD experiences. That’s why I love asking kids with ADHD to tell me what it’s like – in their heads – when they struggle to focus. So many tell me that they try to listen, but little noises, like the sound of someone writing with a pencil even, bring them off task. They say, “I want to focus, but my brain won’t let me.” Adults with ADD/ ADHD are no different.

Ranma
    Participant

Looking back these can seem amusing now.
    Frantically searching the house for my glasses, give up and grab my spare pair go to put them on “CLICK” as they hit the ones I was looking for.
    Frantically looking everywhere for my car keys before noticing they’re in my hand.
    Getting some orange juice from the fridge getting a glass from the cupboard pour a glass, go watch TV enjoying my orange juice, go back into kitchen for a snack open cupboard for a plate “why is the orange juice in the cupboard? “

My mom once made a joke about ADHD. The punchline was “Hey look, a squirrel!”

I totally zoned out while she was telling the joke and only heard the last part, to which I excitedly responded “Where?!”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.