Frustrated

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

sea8shell@msn.com
    Participant

It is so frustrating that ADHD does not qualify as a learning disability. I come across so many wonderful programs out there that are free if your child has a learning disability, but they won’t consider ADHD a qualifying condition. We have spent so much, literally thousands of dollars on private tutoring for our eight year old at this point, not to mention the actual medical costs- therapy, medication, etc. It’s simply not right that there is nothing to help support her ADHD. I’m not looking for a handout, just some supplemental material to assist her with reading and math that I don’t have to purchase. She hates to read and sit still, a regular book just doesn’t do it for her. She has no interest when she could be running around playing basketball, football, you name it as long as it involves moving. But yet there is nothing to support her “learning” because it’s not a “disability” – right because these people don’t live with it day in and day out like we do! If you have to medicate your child to bring her to a normal level of interaction with the world, then explain to me how that’s not a disability?

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

ADHD is definitely a disability. In my opinion, it’s very much a learning disorder as well. I also feel like it should be classified as neurological and not mental health. But, who am I to say? 😉

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.