Friendships (both ADHD)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ella C 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Ella C
    Participant

Over the past year I have become best friends with this guy who has (raging)ADHD. I also have ADHD, but somehow something really seems to clique with us. He gets me on a level that is almost creepy lol. Our friendship might seem kind of weird and unconventional to some, but for us it seems to really work. We both are very fast paced, somewhat random, like the same things, and have had many similar experiences, good and bad. We are such good friends, and I’m really hoping this friendship will last.

I guess I’m wondering if any of you have had friendships where you were both adhd and if so how they worked out for you? If they worked out, what do you think made them work? Was there anything you had to do differently to keep that friendship healthy?

Aleksandar_Atan
    Participant

So I don’t know if this is helpful since… yeah here where i’m from a place where adhd is really underreported but I think I have add and my friend has h so… she’s the best suited for me because we kinda cancel each other out in a good way. Keep in mind that mutual understing is the most importaint aspect of friendship. Having a friend with the same problem can really help.

With me and my friend the thing that seemed to click is the fact that she can understand me and that’s speaking in the most literal way. I speak incoherently and I can’t really articulate that well and I help her bacause I calm her down and I have patience with her. We went through college together she’s getting her Phd and I finished my masters. She got me through all that stuff. She’s hyperactive and restless and I’m spaced out so we blend well. So I guess don’t care what other people think because that’s your thing. Kinda lost track with where I was going with this but I hope it makes some sense.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Aleksandar_Atan.
    • This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Aleksandar_Atan. Reason: Keep remembering stuff I want to add

Spaceboy 99
    Participant

In my experience, ADHD-ADHD friendships are pretty much the easiest ones to maintain. They’re the kind of friends who will drop off the face of the earth for six months (if you live far apart), pop up again suddenly, and it’s as if you only saw them yesterday.

As long as you generally treat each other with respect, I find that ADHD friends are a lot more understanding of issues that come with ADHD, because they know what it’s like. If you turn up 20 minutes late, they get it, they’re cool. You don’t call/forget to call? That’s cool, they forgot you were meant to call.

Best of all, you can be utterly mental around them, and they won’t think you’re a total freak- they’ll just be mental right back. They get your weird-ass humour, and they don’t get embarrassed when you do your Yoda impersonation at the store.

ADHD friends rock 😛

Ella C
      Participant

“Best of all, you can be utterly mental around them, and they won’t think you’re a total freak- they’ll just be mental right back. They get your weird-ass humour, and they don’t get embarrassed when you do your Yoda impersonation at the store.” – OMG yes! this is one of the best parts of our friendship.

I also don’t feel like I need to hide my problems with this person, they get it and encourage me to be myself and I have grown so much from that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.