Friendship

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      amka
      Participant

Hello,

I know big topic…
      My story in short, I have been diagnosed with ADHD late in life at the age of 37 years old (I am 39 now). I am more in the impulsive/hyperactivity (Still!) side not so much issues with attention, I never had learning difficulties and that made the issue for the late diagnosis. Actually I am the opposite with learning.

My main issues come with the impulsivity in relationships and friendships.
      I have some close friends since high school but the new ones I make after a point find me:
      Too intense, too hyperactive, not concrete texting, too much, too sensitive

I am really sensitive indeed and I do not take rejection really good. The moment I feel someone rejects me I push more to fix the situation if we have an argument they usually ask for space and then I push and try to make ammends.I do not take any medication. I tried Ritallin as soon as it wears off gives me more stress for some reason, while I see some difference with emotions when I take it, actually do not fix the problem just pause it for few hours. Vicious circle…

I have tried medication doesnt work, excersice, talk to other people, the more they reject me the more my head is stuck to fix. I overfocus on the problem and I feel sadness from the rejections. I know I can be too much but I mean no harm. They all describe me as the person with the warmenst heart, but this is not enough….

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Sounds like rejection sensitive dysphoria (RSD), common with ADHD.

Why You Feel Rejection So Intensely

How ADHD Ignites Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

sarah101
      Participant

Hi have you ever tried natural supplements? There are many vitamins that help with ADHD symptoms. Fish oil, magnesium. There is a good book called finanlly focused, in which talks about which vitamins to take for certain symptoms. I am also very sensitive to medications & only take a very low dose of Wellbutrin & certain vitamins. I am also looking into a single vitamin that is suppose to be for ADHD only, so I can drop the Wellbutrin. There are alternatives to medications that can work it just takes some research & trial.

gretagrits
      Participant

Hi Amka,
      I am 51 yo and have NO friends. I have work friends, friends from high school, but the only real friend I have is my boyfriend. I like you think I am a little overwhelming for neuro-typical people. I have a big heart, I am polite, I am hyper-active and tend to talk A LOT. I think I get on a lot of peoples nerves after they have been around me for a while. I pride myself on having what I call a sixth sense. I cal feel when there is tension. The only way I can describe it is there is “static” in the air. I do pretty much everything (that doesn’t interest my bf) by myself. I have learned to enjoy it, although I do end up talking to myself, which can be embarrassing when strangers notice. I’ve often wondered if I am really that difficult to be around and I just have to assume I am and that’s ok because I know I am a good person. I have a great sense of humor, I am a loving, caring person. To me that is all that matters. I understand the rejection issue you mentioned, and I think that may just be an over thinking, obsessing issue. I have to really work on this myself, but I feel like I have gotten better in recent years.
      We sound a lot a like and I am sorry you are suffering. Might I suggest a journal to keep track of your actions and reactions for comparison after, let’s say, a month. It might help you condition your behavior, if that is what you are interested in doing.
      Good luck to you in what ever avenue you choose to take.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.