Formal Diagnosis and Vyvanse

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Formal Diagnosis and Vyvanse

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Johnathan1997 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

MofGreenGables
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum and community – in fact new to ADHD and I have a 2 fold question for you all:
    First a little bit about me:
    I am a 21 year old university student studying psychology. I’ve spent many years researching mental health and mental illness because I always knew something was different about me but I couldn’t put my finger on it. In highschool I realized that I had depression as a child and have survived another episode since then. Then just a few months ago we were discussing ADHD in my neuroscience class and that sparked many extensive, hyper-focused research sessions about this disorder. After significant reading, talking with close friends and with my family doctor it appears quite possible (if not highly likely) that I do indeed have ADHD. (Someone said that ADHD is the only diagnosis you smile when you read the symptoms of because it makes so many things much sense! I agree!)

About formal diagnosis:
    While I have discussed this condition with my doctor I do not have a formal diagnosis. As a psychology student I do value clinical diagnostics and the last thing I want is to contribute to misinformation that can arises from self-diagnostics – that being said the diagnostic criteria seems to fit me to a T for Inattentive (and possibly combination type) ADHD and I would be greatly surprised if a clinician told me to the contrary. However, my parents are quite conservative and have very little concept of and respect for diagnosis that serve as “excuses”. What are the reasons you choose to get a formal diagnosis or not? What was your experience like?

About Medication:
    In the conversation I had with my family doctor he said that if I wanted to try medication that would be an option for me to choose. If I was interested he would prescribe Vyvanse. Everyone has their own opinions on whether to use medication or not, personally I have no qualms with using prescribed stimulants and trust the research that has been done with regards to negative effects. I’ve been struggling to decide if this is a route I would like to pursue because while I do notice the impairment in different aspects of my school, work and home life I can’t say that the impairment I experience is nearly as bad as other’s experiences with ADHD and I wonder if medication is necessary. On the other hand, someone described trying medication as putting on a pair of glasses for the first time and realizing the world isn’t supposed to be blurry. Does anyone have experiences of trying stimulant medication (particularly Vyvanse) for the first time they could share with me?

Thank you for being part of this community! I’m looking forward to continuing conversation.

Sario528
    Participant

On formal diagnosis, I will say that I personally would always rather know for sure, rather than merely suspecting. As to your parents, I would suggest explaining it to them that the brain is just another organ, and like any organ, it can get sick. Nobody bats an eye at someone taking blood pressure medicine, why should brain focus medicine be any different? Beyond that, families are hard. Try being patient with them, but don’t be afraid to put your own well-being first.

On medication, I can personally attest to the “glasses effect”. The first time I tried medication (and it was vyvanse) I was amazed at my ability to focus on what I needed to without my brain trying to run off in a million different directions. I would strongly recommend giving medication a shot if you do get diagnosed, as I think that there is a very good chance that you are more impaired than you realize.

Johnathan1997
    Participant

If you cold turkey aderall should you taper off been dealing with severe anxiety was on it on oct 2017 until March 2019 just wanna make sure it’s a smart decision

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.