Forgetfulness returns!

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      leanz
      Participant

Hello friends!

My child just completed 10 years. I see a surge in his forgetfulness. Many times he is in his own thoughts and hasn’t even listened to what I said. Little increase in the daydreaming too and emotional sensitivity also.

He is in 4th. Is this typical at this particular age?
      I read about the middle-school syndrome. I feel it’s more about increase in work and change in atmosphere related.
      Is it also age related?
      Is it typical at 11 years?

Might seem a little stupid question. I thought I will ask anyway so that I’m mot misreading his symptoms.

Many many thanks!

TaurusMoon
      Participant

I am wondering if the age is not part of this process as I have seen this in my 10 year old son this year. Forgetfulness was never part of my son’s repertoire, but around October (this year, 4th grade) suddenly he began forgetting assignments and small duties left and right! He also had become very withdrawn- barely talking on the way to and from school, staring out the window, barely listening to me.

With our experience, you hit the nail on the head when you said “increase in work and change in atmosphere related.” As my son was becoming less happy with his classroom/school environment, he was developing a case of the “I don’t knows” and “I forgots.” When we drilled down into what was bothering him and after meeting with the teacher and principal to get things on track, the forgetfulness and spaciness subsided. I do not think that you are misreading your son’s symptoms at all and it is definitely not a stupid question.

Good luck to you and as always, hang tight. This is a great site for feedback!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It very well could be the onset of puberty (it seems to start so young now). It could also be additional or increased stress. We don’t realize the impact of stress on brain function, but it can be very debilitating:

Why School Stress Is Toxic for Children

By this age there’s a lot more pressure to be “accountable” for oneself. And that’s often too high of an expectation for kids with ADHD.

Here’s some information on working memory deficits as well:

How to Help Children with Working Memory Deficits

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.