Forget to look at planner

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Forget to look at planner

This topic contains 17 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  number five 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

dbencini
    Participant

Hi, so my issue is that i can get super organized but then after i do so i will forget to look at my reminders or i will forget to look at my planner. Any tips on how to remind myself to look at my reminders on my phone or my planner itself? HELP

ADHDinPGH
    Participant

Me too!! It’s such a problem for me. I set reminders on my phone but like….see through them. I can organize and plan beautifully….then I forget to check it.

I don’t have any answers but you’re not alone and I wanted to follow this post in case anyone has useful solutions.

LG75
      Participant

Hi!

I have the same issue. I’ve tried different apps and alarm’s but after a couple of days I end up not looking at them or snoozing it. Until I delete the app all together. The only thing I can use my phone for is keeping a grocery list.
      I find the old fashion way of writing it down works best for me. I like to use a magnetic dry erase board on my refrigerator as quick reminders. Then I write it on paper or a post-it.
      I finding it down when your ready to start your day is a good way to refresh the memory.
      Do what works for you and use the same method, it will become routine.

ellewolfe
    Participant

I personally stopped using a planner for school and whatnot, and instead of something blocked with a cover on it that I can easily ignore, I have everything typed on calenders I found online and then printed, and placed into clear page protectors. I will either tape that calendar to the notebook for the class it applies to so I’m forced to see it, or keep it on my desk or taped on the wall next to me. I also have a dry erase calendar on my fridge as a second source of barraging me with info. I used to dabble with different phone reminder apps and other apps for ADHD people but found that I used them for a week tops before I just forget they exist. On my tablet I rearranged my home screen to remove most icons and instead have a giant calendar and memo pad as the first thing I see, which usually I usually write overly sassy notes to myself to remember to do things.

My advice is always when in doubt, leave yourself sassy notes. No one wants to wake up and see a long to do list of stuff, but finding funny or sarcastic post-it notes around the house or memos on your computer/phone can be more engaging. Mine usually says things like “You know damn well that your paper is due tonight at midnight” or “Hey remember the last time you forgot you had a test and studied until 6am? Lets not do that again. *list of test dates for the entire semester* ” I usually put them near my computer, on the fridge, bathroom mirror, etc.

I’ve really just noticed that some people with ADHD do better with physical pen and paper reminders. Tech can be a slipperly slope when you look at your phone, and then end up mindlessly scrolling through facebook or watching cat videos for hours, forgetting you ever saw the reminder.

BelovedLeah
      Participant

I like your style, ellewolfe. I’m passing your sassy note idea to my daughter! Thanks for the idea. 🙂

jennp_rice
      Participant

These are awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing and I agree 100% about electronics sucking us in and wasting time.

lifewithbears
    Participant

I relate to this. Even when I put things in my calendar set and reminder and remember to show up I’m usually late or it’s the wrong date. And I somehow entered it wrong after checking a million times. Ugh.

Missmatchmama
    Participant

Definitely seconding the paper planner!! I recently switched back to a paper calendar and a dry erase backup on the fridge after a year of chaos using google calendar and phone/tablet reminders. I justified it to myself because I thought I’d be better off with something I wouldn’t forget at home etc. but that was the least of my problems in the end. I also don’t just get distracted by my phone, I get lost in the world of trying to update all my calendar events and reconcile my online world organize emails/calendars and it’s a giant time suck. If I write it in a calendar, it’s either there – or scratched out. Can’t get distracted by perfectionism and possibly some slight co-morbid OCD unless I want to buy a new calendar every week! It’s also kind of zen to put pen to paper, have a little space for some mind-calming doodling or colouring too!

Lmfisher2013
    Participant

I’ve missed so much and paid so many late fees because of this exact problem! I started writing a multitude of notes on the list pads that have a magnet on them that you hang on the fridge. I leave them in the car and on the table in my bedroom and at my mom’s house. No matter where I go I see paper lists and reminders. I also have about 5 or six reminder alarms set on my phone that have a puzzle to complete to stop the alarm. I am doing way better but I still struggling to let whatever task is at hand hold on until I’ve addressed my reminder and handled the important task. Menopause is killing me!

Ndrfnjnkie
    Participant

If I had a dollar for every doctor’s appointment I’ve had to call and reschedule at the last minute, I could probably afford an assistant to keep track of my schedule for me!

I like the sassy note idea, and the notes around the house. I think these could work for me and my son. He loves sarcasm! Has anyone found any type of notes/system that work(s) well for staying stuck until you take them down? I use post-its on my desk a lot, but at home, they don’t stick to walls/doors as well.

As for late fees, I’ve finally committed to scheduling automated payments for as many of my bills as I can. That has definitely reduced the late payment fees.

My husband and I use a shared iCalendar through our iPhones, and that way, he’s my back-up. It’s still not fool-proof, especially if he’s relying on me to remember something. 😉 But it has improved the process.

ADHDinPGH
      Participant

They make dry erase “sticky notes” that I use at home. One on the front door, one on my mirror. I’ve seen them on amazon but I got mine from Staples. They stay stuck and cut down on trash. If only I could remember to actually look AT them instead of letting them fade into the background!

wolfeamb
    Participant

It also helps to keep things simple. On my calander I have all my bills listed on their due dates, which auto populates every month.
    Instead of setting them up for re-occurring billing, or paying them when they are due (as I will forget.), I pay all bills that are due up until the next paycheck.

Once I see the deposit, I look at my calendar and pay all my bills in one swoop. It’s become habit now, and it helps a lot with not missing payments, late fees, and forgetting that credit card you opened and having it go to collections *cough cough* It has also helped me budget better and not overdraft my account. Once all the bills process, I have what’s left over to spend on groceries and other expenses.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  wolfeamb. Reason: spelling

LimeRabbit
    Participant

If you don’t want to totally abandon tech: I use an app called Alarmed which has a “nag me” feature. It keeps playing the reminder every 15 minutes for 2 hours until I go into the app and turn it off!

lenclark
    Participant

Right at this moment in time, I have four planners within arms reach. Two have absolutely nothing in them, one I use for work, but in my bag I have another one for work, I’m using them both and everyday I promise myself to amalgamate them. The worse part is I hardly ever use either of those two and usually end up with a pile of post its that sit on my desk until one day I chuck them and start anew. The other ones I have here are supposed to be personal, but if I go into a book store I see another one that looks or feels better and suddenly it is on the counter with the rest. I guess deep down I dream of a calendar that will fill itself and remind me. I was very successful when I was able to afford a personal secretary, but those days are gone for now (and I miss them dearly). I am still successful at what I do, but my winging it has gotten out of control. When someone asks me who is where and doing what, I find lately that I have a difficult time putting a face to the name, which forced me to start printing out lists to carry in my pocket in case someone else asked. I would take the list out and the next time I reached for it, it would be gone, set down somewhere and forgotten. Or handed it to someone and simply left it with them. Maybe what I will try today is to just throw them all out but for one. I have to try to re-train myself again, if I have time, lol. So at the end of the day, you are not alone. Len

tarkus150
    Participant

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just happened to look at this discussion today, because although I have a paper planner I haven’t been looking at it much. So the discussion made me look for it, whereby I discovered that the guitar class I paid for started TONIGHT.

I have been through so many iterations of planners. Tried bullet journaling for a while. Tried exclusively online. My life is so much easier when I use my planner, but it warms me to know that others have the same issues with it that I do.

Kolbitr
    Participant

Hi there,

I have many of the same issues as people have brought up here.

The system I have now isn’t perfect, but it helps.

My work hours are not quite regular, so my employer runs a Google calendar. This means those dates go to it automatically and I can access that on my phone, so I know if I need the quick answer to am I working on that day, I can look there.

Then I have two little mind gadgets that together have meant I am better than ever before at not forgetting or missing important stuff (though not perfect!).

1) I realised keeping losing my wallet and my diary was messing up my life. So I turned them into one object. It’s a moleskine notebook that fits in my pocket. I bought a wraparound from moleskine for it which turns the front flap of the notebook into a wallet. Now the object is so important to me that in two years, I have almost never not known where it is. When I’m on the move and some time gets booked, I pencil it in there. Or even if it’s just a suggestion.

2) at the beginning of each academic year I make a new wall planner. It’s a tradition in my family house (they’re an artsy bunch) so it makes me feel connected to my past to set aside a good few hours to designing and making one. I find it fun to think of all the different ways I can lay out the time in a year, and some of my own designs work so much better for me than calendars I buy because I know how my own brain works. For instance, I have one design in which the calendar is organised spatially around fortnights rather than months, because I tend to have a better sense of what’s going on in the next fortnight rather than in the whole month (and it makes the calendar so neat, because fortnights are always the same length!). It may sound time consuming and it usually is, but I find that in itself is extremely useful, because once I have put so much effort into physically making the thing and working out how to attach it to the wall, I remain (mostly) motivated to use it throughout the year. I stick it in my hallway, the most visible spot in the house. This is the master plan and I put on all my work dates there too. I try to remember to transfer anything from my wallet-diary as and when, and usually don’t have too much of a problem because that info is at least all in one place. If I don’t have space for all the detail about an event, I’ll flesh that out in my wallet-diary, or more often just write the details in the blank space I left around the calendar (a useful feature). I really can’t miss this huge, colourful, unique and tbh slightly messy but in an endearing way object I’ve turned into one of my house’s most eye-catching features. I enjoy ticking each day off. It has totally revolutionised my life, and I know because I’ve done it two years running now, and it still works.

A further point that this helps with is it gives me the excuse not to just say yes to everything anyone suggests I do without having a cool off period to properly consider it, because I have to say “oh, that sounds great, I’ll just have to let you know once I’ve gone home and checked my wallplanner. What did you say the date was, again?” – at which I scribble it in my wallet diary and say “OK I’ve pencilled it in but I’ll get back to you to confirm later.” That behavioural change too has been an incredible help.

Hope some of that helps.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Kolbitr.

aliciajensen625
    Participant

Classic, ADHD problem. I have struggled with this, For-forever!

Here’s what been working for me (these last few weeks). I have set my alarm to wake me up 10 minutes before I’m supposed to be up. This is ‘Day Planning Time'(somehow setting the alarm earlier reminds me that I need to plan my day).
    Weeks ago I started a Note on my iPhone (this is a running Note -same Note).
    On the very top, I write the day of the week in bold for the Title, after deleting the previous day (if I write the title TODAY- Forget it, can’t keep track). I stroll down and delete everything I have completed the day before and tab my memory for anything that needs to be done today (I get some satisfaction from knowing I have accomplished stuff) – I go over to my desk, where I have a calendar opened to the week and write down any appointments for this day in my Note.

When I set a new appointment – I write “remember to write down the apt for ‘such and such’ a day on the desk calendar” on the iPhone Note. Anytime throughout the day when things come to memory of things I need to do, I write them down in the running iPhone Notes. Next day Repeat!

The best thing is that the Notes syncs to my desktop and laptop. As I am working, and I remember something, I open my notes and write it down – as I write things down I naturally glance at everything else and it keeps my memory fresh on what needs doing.

I hope this helps.

number five
    Participant

I have three little black books. One with email and web info and passwords for everything, another with personal family and friends addresses and email and web info also has what I call my yellow pages which is all my companies that I deal with such as credit card companies with account numbers to my plumbers number. The third is my appointment book. Only and I mean only real appointments go into the calendar. Doctors appointments, classes and appointments with lawyers or other professionals. I look at my little black appointment book every morning and plan on an index card the time to dress and get out the door-drop dead time to leave and not be late! I have found the only way to keep bills from going astray is with auto payments etc. these three little books are with me almost all the time especially when on the phone or dealing with some detailed problem. Thie only thing I have to do is not procrastinate about updating the books. When updated these are really all I need to get through the day. I do make up lists on index cards for groceries or other things to keep track of and I journal everyday. I find the phone and other electronics to be too difficult to use.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.