Focalin XR

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Pump2Duncan
      Participant

So I posted the other day about medication dosage. Long story short, our insurance sucks when it comes to long acting stimulants. So I did some digging and found a co-pay assistance program for Focalin XR. Does anyone have any experience with Focalin XR? My son has an appointment on Monday and I planned on discussing the medication with him since the short acting stimulant that is covered by my insurance just doesn’t seem to be cutting it, but Concerta (which is not covered anymore) worked wonderfully.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Focalin is primarily a methylphenidate, like Concerta, but it does have an added component of Dex in it (Focalin = Dexmethylphenidate, Concerta = Methylphenidate). My son does well on Concerta, but didn’t sleep for 24+ hours when he tried Focalin. Of course, that was just him and he’s very sensitive.

Here are user reviews for Focalin, but, the only way to really know how it will work for your son is to try it.

Focalin XR

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

susan.rueter
      Participant

Focalin XR worked really well for my son, but our insurance wouldn’t cover the extended release. I would be interested in the assisted insurance copayment program you found. Would you mind sharing the contact info.? Thanks!

Pump2Duncan
      Participant

Here is the link to the copay card: http://www.focalinxr.com/info/eligibility.jsp If I’m understanding all the terms correctly, it will cover up to $60.00 of your copay to make your co-pay $10 per month. Our insurance technically covers the Focalin XR but its such a high co-pay that we can’t afford it, especially with the premium increases we had this year.

If it helps anyone – I also found co-pay cards for Zenzedi, Evekeo, Daytrana, Quillivant XR and QuilliChew ER. Trying to get as many options as possible to speak with the doctor about. I hate having to go into the doctor’s office and not be able to walk out with whatever prescription he thinks is best. Instead I have to walk in with a list of prescriptions I know we can afford. UGH! Dang insurance!!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.