First week on Ritalin: methylphenidate hydrochloride ER

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond First week on Ritalin: methylphenidate hydrochloride ER

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  surfreak_thesearchbegins 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

howe.kelsey
    Participant

Hello,
    I just started Methylphenidate ER Capsules, Generic Name: methylphenidate hydrochloride. I’m 25 and probably should have been diagnosed in second grade but thats something I’m working on getting past and looking toward the future. I was diagnosed with ADHD very recently and am looking for advice or personal stories on what this initial few months will be like. I’m starting on 10mg a very small dose, I’m only 4’9″ so that makes sense.

Whats the first thing you noticed improving?

Thank you,
    Kelsey

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Here’s information on Ritalin, as well as user reviews of that medication:

Ritalin

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

I’ve been on Ritalin for years since I was about 13, now I’m 36.. It’s been a bit of a rollercoaster though, as my anxiety got so bad at one point in my mid twenties, I took myself off Ritalin because it was driving me crazy. But to be honest looking back, I may have had a lot of stresses at the time (as I had fallen out of University and my lifelong ambition of becoming a Engineer was smashed to pieces! I was splitting up from my girlfriend too and had no life prospects/no direction and very few friends, so I got very depressed…)

So to be honest I’d ask, what are you expecting from the drug rather to say, what will you notice.. If you don’t notice a improvement after 4 months, I would consult your medical practitioner.

But I understand myself much better now, I also understand that I shouldn’t have taken up intense studying but mainly because I lacked the qualifications/academics and I just wasn’t ready to study at that level.

Ritalin for me boosts my confidence (the dopamine hitter), but as long as we are positive about life, that we have some direction but if we are negative then anxiety is more likely to creep in, so firstly I’d say, don’t concentrate on the pro’s and cons of any drug, as if you have ADHD, you’ll concentrate on “something” and this may even effect the overall effectiveness of the drug.

Do you have any goals at the moment Kelsey? Do you have any specific problems with life in general etc…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.