First course of action in diagnosis?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond First course of action in diagnosis?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

gtech
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to this forum and was just doing some reading and I was just wondering what everyone first did when they first suspected that your kid had ADHD? Thanks!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

We went to the pediatrician. I had no idea what was going on (didn’t even suspect ADHD), but knew we needed help and guidance. The pediatrician referred my son to a psychologist for evaluation, and that’s how we got the diagnosis.

Here are the steps to diagnosis:

Your Complete ADHD Diagnosis and Testing Guide

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

gtech
      Participant

thanks for the reply. what was the firs thing which made you think your son needed help or that something was off?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

He couldn’t succeed no matter how hard he tried. We changed teachers and schools to a great environment and he still had the same struggles. He wanted so badly to meet expectations and he just couldn’t.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

gtech
      Participant

gosh, that sounds rough.. did the teachers/school say anything about your sons ability to focus?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

His kindergarten teacher told us we didn’t prepare him for school and give him enough responsibility (AS IF). Changed to new school and got the best teacher he’s ever had for first grade (he’s 17 now). She was doing so much to work with him and accommodate him and he was still struggling with so much. Focus was one of the core issues for sure. As well as hyperactivity and messiness.

Penny

gtech
    Participant

ahh right, did the pediatricians/psychologists make any suggestions for things you can do about the core issues/symptoms?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Yes, behavior modification techniques, school accommodations, executive functioning accommodations (like writing out instructions, visual checklists, etc…), and ADHD medication.

Penny

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.