Finding psychiatrist/psychologist

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Finding psychiatrist/psychologist

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      zsuzsu
      Participant

I have eight year old twin girls who were diagnosed at the age of 5. The older twin was diagnosed with emerging ADHD and Mood Disorder and the younger with emerging ADHD, Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder, and Intermittent Explosive disorder. Now that they are 8, the only diagnosis I am certain of is the ADHD. I am having the younger twin, who has a much harder time managing her emotions, re-evaluated. At this point, the psychologist is thinking ASD and Bipolar. After reading the articles, and listening to the webinars from Dr. Dodson, I am wondering if they are being properly diagnosed. The emotional dysregulation he describes with ADHD pinpoints exactly both of my girls’ behavior. The difficulty I am having is finding a psychiatrist or psychologist that thinks about ADHD in that same manner. If anyone has a recommendation, we are in Florida but definitely willing to travel.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

A lot of what I see in families is that ASD emotional regulation can be more severe. An ASD diagnosis often explains symptoms that could be mood disorders. This was true for my own family too.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

InfectionLion
      Participant

I agree with Penny but, every family is different too.

AutoAdhd
      Participant

Good luck and I hope you find the right one for you.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.