Finding my people

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Finding my people

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  smjimenez31 1 year ago.

• Author

joy.betsy7
    Participant

I am currently writing something out and I am trying to describe the feeling of talking to someone else with ADHD after my diagnosis. I was always very lonely growing up and I always felt different. I wasn’t officially diagnosed until after college, but didn’t get proper treatment until I was in my mid twenties. When I finally connected with a friend who does coaching it was really amazing to realize that I’m not crazy. (This is why I need help, I really want to get it across that I was finally with people like me, but I don’t know how to say it!!)
    Anyway, I was just wondering what your experience was like and how you would describe it to someone without ADHD.
    Thanks in advance!
    B

smjimenez31
    Participant

I was just recently diagnosed as well. I’m 23 yo in university. I would have started the process 6 years ago, but my parents didn’t move forward with it, because I looked normal and healthy. Its a very emotional process because it is so many emotions all at the same time. It’s almost like getting glasses for you brain. The world is clearer. I felt relieved because I didn’t feel different or weird for being me or versions of me that didn’t feel like me. And when you talk to someone with ADHD, it is the best! ADHD is tailored to everyone uniquely. But you speak the same language. When you describe certain things… they just get it. It’s explaining thoughts, ideas, feelings, what may have you, but ITS COMPLETELY OKAY TO NOT BE ABLE TO DESCRIBE because somehow they get it. They can keep up. They understand the “random” connections. They put a stack, and then I stack. Until you’ve gotten somewhere

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.