Finding a new, ADHD-friendly (government) career at 39

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Finding a new, ADHD-friendly (government) career at 39

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Eseeds
      Participant

I recently underwent a neuropsychological assessment, which re-re-re-confirmed my ADHD. It also deemed me unfit to ever function in my current position. Fortunately, it was a cushy government job, so I will be paid by insurance until I can find something that plays better to my strengths. I have been hunting around for positions that look interesting in areas with my skillset, but “multitask,” which I interpret to mean I do lots of different things throughout the day, something my new position must have, tends to also require “detail oriented” which does not sound ADHD friendly at all. If anyone out there with ADHD has a mid-level office job where you write, help people, possibly do some training and do several tasks throughout the day, please let me know what you do!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I don’t have any specific job recommendations, but these articles can help you determine the best fit for a new career:

Free Resource: What to Ask Yourself to Find the Perfect Job

How to Align Your Career with Your Passions

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

stephanie
      Participant

I am in the process of changing to speech pathology. Not government, per se, but working for a school district. I only needed one year of classes for an SLP Assistant position, since I already had a bachelor’s degree. I think it will be a good fit.

Nexus
      Participant

I was diagnosed recently.
      Started medication, experimented with psychiatrist’s guidance and have settled on my current medication.

Unfortunately it means I’ll be getting discharged from the Australian Defence Force.
      I’m in a similiar boat as you, I’m looking for jobs that would best suit my co-morbid asd & adhd.

I’m a non visual.
      I love sorting, organising and analysing data.

ninjaroo
      Participant

A job in Information technology support. Lots of stuff comeining at you from every different direction.
      New technologies peak your interest.

Avoid Project management or It Security. Although I am going for IT security soon.
      Plus if you are being treated for ADHDh through drugs and counseling why would he be precluded from jobs?

The drugs help us focus and the counseling gives us strategies to cope.

I have been working in IT for 20 years only diagnosed with adhd this year . It explains
      so much. But also explains how I can do many different tasks at once.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.