Financial Issues/IRS Problems

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Financial Issues/IRS Problems

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      TJCTTR
      Participant

Need some help/advice please: After struggling for years with my ADHD I was finally diagnosed about 3 years ago. I have been able to put my life back together with the help of my family and some very caring health professionals. There is unfortunately one area that has become the “elephant in the room” and needs to be resolved. My ADHD manifested in many ways but the most damaging was in the area of money/finances. This includes multiple bankruptcies and loss of a house to foreclosure. The one outstanding issue is IRS back taxes. My severe shame/embarrassment led to this and now I need help to fight my way back. Are there any programs or resources that I can tap into to resolve my last lingering part of my past? Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I know you can get assistance from an attorney to negotiate back taxes and payment plans with the IRS. It may be your best bet.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

AKBW
      Participant

I was on Social Security Disability for almost 10 years. I have the following impairments – attention deficit disorder, bipolar affective disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and major depressive disorder. In March of 2017 Social Security informed me that I had been making too much money at my part time job as a cashier as of February of 2014; my SSDI payments stopped and that I owe them over $54,269.60. I didn’t know I was supposed to report to them what I was making. They never sent me a notice that said “you can make $_______ per month and that’s it”. That I would have understood. But I cannot understand their communications because of my disabilities. I too have gotten into financial trouble several times before. I don’t “get” the paperwork. Why the hell did they give me disability insurance to begin with if they didn’t know/understand my impairments? Because I was 64 I put in for SS Retirement Benefits, which they promptly cut in half until April of 2026 so I can pay them back.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.