Finally diagnosed at 29!

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      lildropofsunshine
      Participant

At 29, I finally found someone who listened to me about my concerns thinking I have ADHD. I’ve thought it for years and years, but all the mental health professionals I’ve talked to have either ignored it or said my symptoms were caused by my other diagnoses.

I’ve had two sessions with a new psychiatrist, and she believes that I do in fact have ADHD, which is such a relief! So now as of yesterday, with a diagnosis in hand, I’ve been prescribed a low dose of adderall (immediate release) to try for the next month. (5mg first thing in the morning, with another 5mg between noon and 1pm if I feel like I need it).

I’ve always been a go-go-go person, always disorganized and messy, and always feeling like my brain has the inability to shut up and be quiet. I’m hoping to find calm within my brain so I can actually focus and do things. One of the reasons I like my job is that I’m never doing the same thing for very long (I’m a preschool teacher), but by the same token, when we’re outside on the playground, for example, I sometimes zone out and miss things I shouldn’t. I’m also the person who procrastinates on laundry, then when I finally get around to doing it, forget that I put it in the wash and won’t change it over to the dryer for hours after it’s done.

I took the adderrall for the first time this morning, and wow! I had so much focused energy that I’m not even sure how to explain it. Like, for once I wasn’t tired, and I didn’t feel like my brain was buzzing. My need to constantly go subsided, not entirely, but a lot, and I can think about just one thing at a time whereas before I was actually just unable to do that. I took my second one right before noon (so approximately 6 hours after the first), and I feel amazing. My brain fog is so much less, and I just feel alert and ready.

hmsdragonfly
      Participant

Hi! I am self-diagnosed for now – but, wow, did I get hits for a LOT of the traits listed in the article here about ADHD in women – so I find your post intriguing. I have been wondering if having coffee instead of my usual tea in the morning might help. Do you find the effects of the Adderall way different from those of a good shot of caffeine?

lildropofsunshine
      Participant

Coffee has a very mild effect compared to Adderall, but it is similar in a way. I sometimes drink coffee when I need to calm down or focus and it does help.

CharlieRain
      Participant

I’m newly diagnosed at 29 as well, except I had never before suspected I had ADHD. Mainly because I had no idea how different it presents in women. My main knowledge of ADHD, admittedly now very limited. Was just some of the boys I grew up with could climb the walls and never ran out of energy. There was never any mention growing up of girls having ADHD. All my life I could never explain why I couldn’t focus, or why hours would go by in an instant and I had accomplished nothing. Just either made more of a mess, halfway started a project, or was lost in my phone for hours. I heard “you have so much potential” and “if only you applied yourself, or took the time to study” more times than I can even count. Part of me is overjoyed to finally have an answer for why I couldn’t get out of my own way and the other part is angry someone didn’t see this in me sooner. Where would my life be if I had just learned this sooner? I’m trying not to live in the past, but as a major overthinker it’s hard not to wonder what could have been. I hope this diagnosis gives me a new lease on life, that I have been searching for for so long.

hmsdragonfly
        Participant

Thank you! (Sorry – replied to wrong comment and can’t see how to delete it. But thank you too for sharing!)

LayzDayz
      Participant

Hello,
      I’m almost 28 and am just now finally suspecting ADHD. Also because I did not realize symptoms were so different in women. I have spent my whole life wondering what was wrong with me, and why everything was so much harder for me than the rest of my siblings and friends. I’ve always been teased for being a hypochondriac and over dramatic. Even now my family doesn’t take me seriously, even though I now keep a lot of problems to myself so I’m not ridiculed. I decided I wanted to get tested for ADHD.and was really committed to the idea. My doctor, who normally listens to me and is very understanding, is VERY opposed to the idea. She was very tactful with her words, but I can tell she thinks I’m being dramatic too and that I probably don’t have ADHD. She says she wants to treat my anxiety first before pursuing a diagnosis, but we’ve tried a couple of medications that haven’t worked and the one that probably will work I can’t take because I’m trying to get pregnant. I wouldn’t be able to take medication for ADHD either. Question for the group, is it still worth it to get diagnosed? Should I push my doctor and/or get in touch with a psychiatrist?

lildropofsunshine
        Participant

I think that it would be worth pursuing a diagnosis for sure! Especially since I’m fairly certain there are some meds that you can take while pregnant.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.