Feeling lost

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ashleyb87
      Participant

Here’s a short version of my story:
      My co-worker suggested I complete an adhd scale the day of my doctors appointment, turns out I had a lot of symptoms that matched. I took this information to my doctor and he started me on concerta. After 1 dosage increase and not any drastic change my doctor didn’t feel comfortable changing it again so he referred me to a psychiatrist whom I saw today via Skype. This particular doctor did not have a lot of experience with adhd and suggested it would be reasonable to say I have adhd.

So I have been started on this medication with no information given to me other then what I have researched online. I am on a waiting list to see a social worker but the wait is 6-8 months.

I have added multiple calendars and lists to my life, I keep my phone out of sight at work but I’m still driving people nuts with my constant chatter and inturuping habits. I also tend to lose control of my voice volume when talking and I don’t even notice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a 30 year old woman who has just been diagnosed with something that i am really trying to understand.

monicatrav
      Participant

Hi Ashley, I’m sorry you are struggling 🙁 it’s tough when symptoms flare up. I think I was around age 30 when the symptoms you described became more apparent. Feel free to call me if you need to talk (714) 987 2116
      Moni

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You definitely want someone experienced with ADHD to be managing your treatment.

Here’s some helpful information on what to do after receiving an ADHD diagnosis as an adult:

Free Webinar Replay: Just Diagnosed? How to Succeed with Adult ADHD

Move Forward After a Diagnosis By Envisioning Your New Life

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ashleyb87
        Participant

Thank you both ! I will definitely check out those links this weekend. I’m just getting so frustrated and just want some guidance from someone who knows what they are talking about. My family doctor is doing his best which I greatly appreciate but it’s obviously not a specialty of his.

corinamrd
      Participant

Totally understand where you are at! I was diagnosed this past fall – at 47 years old! I was in the same boat as you – not knowing where to go or what to do. My husband and I were seeing a marriage therapist and one of the recurring themes was I didn’t have time for my husband, my to do list was never-ending and I rarely took time to sit and relax. The therapist said to me “Do you think you might have ADHD?” I responded no, but then started learning about it. I made an appointment with my GP who stated me on medication but didn’t give me any additional direction either. I am a voracious learner so I found some helpful books. I don’t do well with traditional print books – I’m an audio book reader. I have read the following books: The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps by Melissa Orlov. You Men I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy by Kate Kelly, Delivered from Distraction by Ed Hallowwell. I also really enjoy podcasts – Faster than Normal is amazing.

I found a local ADHD support group and attended a few times – asking for additional help and learning about other people’s struggles. People at the support group suggested a local nurse practitioner who specializes in ADHD (and has ADHD herself). This helped tremendously because she was able to try a few different medicines and followed up with me weekly until we figured out the right one for me (currently on Mydayis ER 50mg). Taking a medication every 4-6 hours was not something I could remember to do, so the extended release has been helpful.

I continue to struggle, so I took the jump and started to work with an ADHD coach. She has been helping me deal with specific issues and ensuring I have the right systems in place. I still have a long way to go – and recently lost my job, so now I’ve got this to deal with. I’m confident this is a blessing – I’m learning about myself and what type of work environment is best for me. Everything is so much clearer for me as I look back on my past struggles – ADHD was there all the time.

Continue to reach out to others, listen or read books/podcasts, see if you can find a coach (even an online one would work). I actually am selling items from around my house on eBay so I can afford my ADHD coach – she is THAT important to me and my well-being. Most of us have been there, please continue to reach out! Corina Miles

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.