Feeling like a loser because I'm not pursuing a prestigious carreer

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Feeling like a loser because I'm not pursuing a prestigious carreer

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Lewis 3 days, 18 hours ago.

• Author

Reflection
    Participant

The pas couple of years I’ve done a lot of soul-searching and a lot of working on myself, so I’m pretty sure I know what kind of job will fit me and play to my strengths, needs, issues etc. I have also found a job which I will start in the new year which will be a good fit (I think). My head knows my limitations, that I need lots of time to recharge, will work myself into an early grave if that’s the office culture, and need a supportive team around me instead of people looking to step on me in order to get a promotion etc.

I think I made a smart choice, but I’ve always struggled with low self-esteem and the need to achieve something to prove my worth. This job is not prestigious, high powered or leads to 6-figures. The little voice in my head is telling me that I’m a loser and a failure for not trying to achieve the top even though climbing to that top is most likely going to ruin me.

kharmin
    Participant

Best wishes to you in your new job!
    “Prestige” is only in the eye of the beholder – don’t let your brain sell yourself short.

quietlylost
    Participant

It’s easy to beat ourselves up because we compare ourselves to some ideal or feel that we fall short in any number of ways. It’s hard to break that cycle and feel valid, worthwhile, and lovable for who we are. I hope that you’re getting support along the way, and also getting feedback from others to counter the negative self talk. Remember that we filter reality through our own doubt and pain. What we feels is not what reality is. You better than your demons would have you believe.

Aaron Lewis
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out what career to pursue. I thought I’d found it in being a paralegal, but I’m not 100% sure I want to do that anymore. Maybe one day I’ll find out what I should do as a career.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.