Family hate me going on medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Family hate me going on medication

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      maz
      Participant

Hey
      So I was diagnosed with ADHD a month and a day ago. I’m so relieved that I can finally get some help because there are so many things I want to do in life but can’t even get started with one or just keep jumping to different ones. So before I got tested for ADHD I made it clear to my family I wasn’t going to have medication if I did have ADHD. But I mainly did that so they feel relieved and don’t mind me getting tested. But now that I have got the diagnosis I really feel like having the medication to see how it helps me but everyone says it’s so bad for you and messes up with your brain and that I don’t really even need it. Any suggestions guys?
      I’m 17 and in the UK :+1:t3::two_hearts:

Getittogethergirl
      Participant

I am sorry you have to deal with that. That’s tough. I understand why people get nervous about medication. I used to get nervous about it, too, but here’s what helped me: Taking medication for ADHD is just like wearing glasses when your vision is blurry. It would be silly to insist someone go without glasses. Also, having ADHD means having a deficit of neurotransmitters. Your brain is actually missing ingredients that neurotypical brains have. The medicine compensates for those missing ingredients. Medication is not, “messing with” your brain, it’s standing in for neurotransmitters that other people’s brains manufacture on their own. I saw a meme once that said, “If you can’t make your own neurotransmitters, store-bought is fine.”

I think it’s responsible to take the medications that will help you feel like yourself. You shouldn’t have to feel shamed about doing something that benefits your mental health and changes your life for the better. I give my 8-year-old medication and it gives me peace of mind that his brain and sense of self is able to develop with a balance of brain chemistry rather than with the imbalance that causes all sorts of issues in his life. My doctor also told me she loves treating ADHD because it’s one of the few mental health issues that responds incredibly well to medication. Maybe your family will come around if they see what a difference the right medication makes for you.

I was really nervous to start medication and I put it off. When I took it for the first time, I got emotional over how much better I felt. I could not believe that normal people felt this calm and functional on a daily basis. I honestly think if your family could feel your struggles and feel the difference the right medication makes, they’d be all for you taking medication.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There’s a lot of misinformation about ADHD medication out there.

Get the facts about ADHD medication here:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.