16 years on Adderall

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cherrin456 19 hours, 52 minutes ago.

• Author

cherrin456
    Participant

Hello,

I am new to this page, but I am not new to taking Adderall. I am hoping that somebody here has had the same issues or similar issues as myself. I have been prescribed medication for ADD for 16 years. I have taken Adderall, Adderall XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Stratera, and Vyvanse so basically almost everything on the market. I am currently taking the instant release Adderall (amphetamine salts) 20mg twice a day.

Anyways to make a long story short my medicine does not seem to be working. I feel that I need it just to have the energy to get out of bed. I do not feel motivated or focused while taking it. Anger is basically the only emotion that I feel. I am tired all the time. All of this has been going on for about 6 years. Now I have an even bigger issue. I was a healthy weight for the first 14 years or so after starting this medication. I always made myself eat in high school in order not to lose so much weight that I looked sick. I am 5’5″ and my weight stayed around 115-125lbs from the age of 13-26. Then in the last year and a half or so I started noticing I was gaining weight and I was gaining it fast. I went from 127-135 in less than 2 months.

I started dieting at that point… 800-1000 calories a day with less than 20% fat calories total for almost 2 months. I didn’t lose ANYTHING! In fact I gained 2 more pounds. Then in January of 2019 I weighed in at 140.. by March I was 156. I then started taking TruVision, changed my diet, and prayed for a miracle. I ended up losing 4 pounds after 3 months of this regimen, but I felt terrible and I wouldn’t call 4 pounds a miracle! Now today only 2 months down the road I weighed in this morning and I am up to 162!

I feel like giving up! It doesn’t seem to matter what I do I just gain weight. I eat healthy. I have celiac disease so I have to eat gluten free which makes eating healthy come easily. I have seen multiple doctors about this and I have had all kinds of bloodwork, but everything comes back normal. I am starting to feel that these ADD medications have completely ruined my metabolism! My doctors don’t know what is wrong. All they tell me is “change your diet” or “Go run around the block” like “Hello???? I have already done those things!!!”

Oh wait, I take that back one doctor did tell me that what I think makes sense and could be a possibility, but that my generation is the “test” generation and they aren’t entirely sure what all effects ADHD medications have on the body long term because those of us who have been on it this long are the first ones to be on it this long! Which isn’t reassuring to say the least! Has anybody here been on ADHD medication for this long? Is anybody else struggling like myself? My doctor has told me that the max my medication can legally be prescribed is 30mg twice a day. That the instant doesnt come in a 25mg so that if they up my medication I will be maxed out and having the same issues again down the road if upping my medication even helps.

• This topic was modified 5 days, 18 hours ago by  cherrin456.
    • This topic was modified 5 days, 18 hours ago by  cherrin456.
    • This topic was modified 4 days, 21 hours ago by  Penny Williams.
    • This topic was modified 4 days, 21 hours ago by  Penny Williams.

rinabina
    Participant

Wow that sounds scary. I don’t mean to alarm you but have you ruled out other possibly issues ovarian cancer, POS, crushings? You could try to switch up the type of medication. Vyvanse? Also I’m sure you’ve tried it but have you tried HIIT? Please keep me posted

cherrin456
      Participant

Yes I’ve had probably a dozen labs ran and they don’t see any reason to think i have anything wrong. All levels are normal.

• This reply was modified 19 hours, 53 minutes ago by  cherrin456.

Dduch
    Participant

Have you tried Dexedrine? It was the first medication that I was on. My doctor prescribed it after I had my first child. It changed my life. I’ve tried vivance, and concerta, but neither one worked as well, so I kept going back to what worked. I’ve been on it for ten years now, and it looks like I might need to swap, as it’s no longer covered and the generic is not slow release. It might work for you. I notice you haven’t tried it yet.

cherrin456
      Participant

No, I haven’t tried Dexedrine. Haven’t ever gears of it to be honest and no doctors have ever offered it. I will ask my doctor about it at the next appointment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.