Expat in Africa / How to get diagnosed & start treatment?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Expat in Africa / How to get diagnosed & start treatment?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      surftheurge
      Participant

Hi all,

I have been struggling for a long time with what I suspect are ADHD symptoms. I have always felt different, and struggle with managing my impulsivity, restlessness, procrastination, lack of organization and structure. Since the New Year I feel like it is even harder to plan / organize, I know it would be in my best interest to plan my weeks / days but it seems so hard. I also struggle with anxiety and depressive feelings.

I am working with a coach (CBT) but I feel that I am not managing to really address the core issues and I am feeling an increasing sense of disconnect with my goals, a lack of motivation, self criticism and negativity. I am 38 and feel like I need to free myself from what is holding my back.

I live in West Africa as a German expat where I don’t have access to doctors familiar with ADHD. I have done some tests in the past which indicated that I am likely to have ADHD, even started diagnosis with a clinic in Germany a few years back but didn’t follow through with the process.

I would like to avoid to have to relocate or travel extensively for diagnosis and starting initial treatment. I’ve started some research. One of the doctors recommended on this page suggested a 60min consultation for 1000 USD to recommend options but cannot prescribe to non-Americans. They also indicated not to use any questionnaires and rely solely on previous experience to make a diagnosis… seems quite strange to me.

I am open to ideas and suggestions.

Cheers

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I have no idea how individuals with ADHD get diagnosis and treatment in Africa. I’d like to say there must be someone there that helps people with ADHD, but I know not every culture recognizes ADHD. Can you maybe start with a local mental health practitioner and discuss this with them?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.