Does what you eat help?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Does what you eat help?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user GaryS in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

Hi,

I’m on medication but I’ve read that your diet can help as well. If so what sort of foods are best to eat?

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user tenpins in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hello. I read somewhere, forgot where it was, but I’m sure I saw it…they mentioned a protein heavy diet would help. The Paleo diet has been touted to possibly help with ADHD. Really if the Paleo diet doesn’t seem to make much difference with ADHD symptoms, you still win with it because its still a better way to eat healthy and that can’t hurt. I’ve been advised to try to stay away from processed foods, sugars, and alcohol, and get the proper amount of sleep…which would be great advise for everyone,whether they struggle with ADHD or not…Hope this helps.

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Tjree221 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

My 10 year old son has obvious reactions to foods that worsen his ADD symptoms. He gets angry and aggressive if he eats dairy products. He gets anxiety and cannot concentrate if he eats sugar. We notice that gluten makes his skin break out so we usually avoid that as well. Usually the reaction happens the day after he eats the food and can last up to 3 days. We usually maintain a strict diet otherwise our family will be in constant crisis at home.

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user MHunt in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Proper Diet and exercise both help. Dr. Daniel Amens has books that you can check out at the library or youtube posts.

Basically- stay away from sugar or carbs that turn into sugar.

However, this can depend on the type of ADD. Classic ADD- Boost Dopamine- Adderal- Low Carbs high protein, Exercise= Reduce Sugar. Omega 3 fatty acid- Salmon, fish oil.

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Bob from Cootamundra in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

There are a few articles on this website that discuss food.

Personally, I have a few allergies. They seem to change with stress, so I assume they are linked somehow to my overall situation, including my ADD.

The bad reactions are mainly skin rashes. Beer does Not help me sleep. Chocolate (without milk) and also cola drinks do hype me up, and this is what I self-medicated on before being diagnosed. Only when I needed to be wide awake.

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Food plays a huge role in how our bodies function. The better we feed ourselves, the better our brains and bodies function.

A Low-GI lifestyle seems to be most helpful.

-Penny
      ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Sandman2 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

There is a lot of research that shows a high protein breakfast is very, very important. Also if on medication avoid citrus products within two hours before the medication.

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user gothceltgirl in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

No foods help per se, but red meat makes me super spacey.

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user miko+ink in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

These are some foods that help me with managing energy and side effects from medication: green banana when I wake up, cayenne pepper ( tajin brand spice mix ) and raw garlic on avocado or Tajin on citrus fruit – for snacking, blue corn chips and cheese, edamame, cherries, lots of protein. Fat in the morning, more carbs toward the end of the day.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.