Does it sound like a ADHD for a toddler ?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Does it sound like a ADHD for a toddler ?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sandman2 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

pete2018
    Participant

Hello,

Our 2 ½ yr old son is lately showing sudden behavior issues, where its becoming tough to control him. He has been a emotionally sensitive kid, got scared big few times between age of 12m and 24m & also used to display anxiety outside. He started stuttering after one such stressful episode. He always had a bad sleeping routine where he used to be restless/hyper during last 2 hr before sleeping. From last 2-3 weeks he has changed a lot – can’t sit at all even for secs, talks excessively & even shouts, fidgets a lot, uncontrollable tantrums outside where it becomes impossible to manage him, always hyperactive. On the good side his social anxiety/fear has all gone. His doctor observed him for few mins and has referred him for ADHD\Autism evaluation which can take time.

1. Can it be something other than ADHD, seeing his history of being in distress and then stuttering ?. Can ADHD be diagnosed reliably at this age ?
    2. I have read ADHD is hereditary but I have also read stress\ptsd can have similar signs. What is your opinion about cause of ADHD ?
    3. Will it always be difficult to manage him if he has ADHD & upto what extent he can have a normal life ?
    4. Is getting external therapy really important OR what few things we can try at home to ease him or improve him ?

Thanks
    Pete

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Hi Pete!

Most of what you’re asking needs to be answered by a professional through a thorough evaluation. While autism is commonly diagnosed that young, ADHD is not. The current diagnosis guidelines are for kids over the age of 4. I know it is sometimes diagnosed younger, but that’s not the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Could Your Preschooler Have ADHD? How to Investigate

Is 4 Too Young?!

At ages under 6, the recommendation is to try therapy first, then move into ADHD medication if necessary.

Getting an evaluation will provide some answers and guidance.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

eliz2112
    Participant

Hi Pete,
    Your posted stuck a chord with me, mainly because I was noticed my child was different from early on. I was terrified that he had autism. Later I learned that he has ADHD. My child always seemed unhappy, and I seemed to have difficulty bonding with him early on. He just always seemed irritable, like everything bothered him. He also displayed many of the symptoms you are seeing in your son. It became more apparent as time went on that there were issues, and he was formally diagnosed through his pediatrician. Medicine helps a great deal!

toomanytabs
    Participant

While I’m certainly not an expert, I wouldn’t start worrying about ADHD just yet, at least until the assessment’s done. Behaviour that is noisy, impulsive and emotional is developmentally normal for 2.5 year olds. Doctors know this, and I would be surprised if someone would be willing to diagnose ADHD in a toddler. More likely they will suggest some different strategies for you to try in managing his behaviour. It’s also important to remember that kids have different temperaments and some are more highstrung and reactive than others; it doesn’t necessarily mean something is wrong.

santabarbaranative
    Participant

As a Speech Pathologist who worked in the schools, I know that in California they have Regional Centers with professionals that evaluate Early Childhood Development.
    Look into a center or what they may be called where you live and follow up as needed.

Good luck.

knishi
    Participant

I agree that professionals should evaluate your child. You may want to consider a sleep study. His poor sleep may be causing his behavior. Even as an adult, it is much harder to keep it together without proper sleep. 2 1/2 year olds haven’t developed coping skills yet, so it is even harder.

There are so many possibilities for the cause. Find the best center for evaluation in your area and get a thorough evaluation – sleep study and neuropsychiatric evaluations. Best wishes!

knishi
    Participant

Also stuttering may not be due to stress. Sometimes it is just a result of developing language. It may disappear on its own.

Make sure that you are taking care of yourself. The better you cope, the better your child will be able to cope. We are the entire world for them at age 2. We are their experience. We create their environment – try to make it as calm and predictable as possible.

sandman2
    Participant

While I agree with all or almost all of the above statements. Two things bother me. The first is that he had some very scary events between 1 and 2 years old. The second is that “during the last 2 to 3 weeks he has changed a lot” ADHD does not just suddenly come on like that. My question would be, are there things in his home or school environment that is causing these problems? Specifically, with the recent change – what also changed in his normal routine? His sleep patterns are not that unusual for a young kid who perhaps has not had proper sleep training techniques. But, to me, the other things point to some outside factor besides adhd.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.