Does anyone manage their ADD without medication?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Does anyone manage their ADD without medication?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  mitzimainer 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Honey18
    Participant

I have not been diagnosed with ADD but tick so many of the boxes for it. I have thought about going for a private assessment but I already take a fair bit of medication for another condition and so I am not keen on taking any more.

I would like to know if medication is always necessary or are there other ways it can be managed eg I’ve heard that exercise in particular running is meant to be very effective.

quietlylost
    Participant

There are other ways to manage ADHD for sure. Medication is one of the first line and most effective treatments but there are a number of other options, skills, and tools.

It would be important to first identify what some of the most common symptoms and challenges are for you. For example, if it’s restlessness and hyperactivity, exercise may be a good option. If it’s organization, getting an ADHD coach could be useful. If it’s struggling with motivation or work, there are some great tools on the HowToADHD Youtube. If it’s about relationships, there are some good books out there as well as resources from here in the support forums.

Bottom line, yes you can help treat ADHD without medication. It may not be as effective, but it can help manage some of the concerns and offer extra skills and support in your daily life that may also improve your other conditions.

Honey18
    Participant

Thank you. My main problem seems to be at home. Strangely I am pretty much fine at work. But at home I procrastinate, get distracted from what I should be doing and am just not good at the whole household management thing.
    I would love to see a Coach – I am in the UK and did a search but they seem expensive.
    Has anyone else found seeing a Coach helpful?

Sporty22
      Participant

I likely have undiagnosed ADHD as well. I am also am special education teacher. I can offer these suggestions that might help as at school I do well but at home the mundane things are hard for me , I have started trying a few strategies for myself at home that help.
      Procrastination- we often put things off because it feels like it is going to take forever – I have started doing little things like time estimation to complete a task- instead avoiding emptying the dishwasher, for example ,I just remind myself it literally only takes 3 minutes – just do it – and I now do but I always have to use that inner voice to remind me it’s a quick thing.

Also, work in chunks for longer chores- like you might need to clean your whole house but use your inner voice to say for example , I am going to get the kitchen done because often you will feel better if you at least accomplish that one thing instead of nothing or set a Timer for like a half hour or 15 minutes even to start and work hard for that time on something you need to do- it helps me . I use these kinds of strategies at school a lot work with kids and for home for me too- estimating length of task, working in chunks to get it done and using timers can be very helpful – good luck

bh28
      Participant

good suggestions ~ timers!

Aspliff
    Participant

I would think you are not ADHD as it is a lifelong struggle to fit the neurotypical brained society mold we all have to deal with on a moment to moment basis. A proper diagnosis will answer it all. But be happy you dont struggle anywhere but home. ADHD has no GPS and affects every aspect of your life, everywhere.

no1nct
      Participant

While it is true that it is a lifelong struggle, I wouldn’t say that just because OP does well at work they don’t have it. I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 42. I resisted the diagnosis because I always did well at work and school. I told my doctor that there was no way I could have ADD. But when I looked back there was evidence that I wasn’t doing as well as I thought I was. I changed jobs frequently, but excelled at every job I did. I was a gifted student who refused to do homework, but I did run almost everyday, so maybe that helped in school. Being treated was an eye opening and miraculous experience for me.

Celeste65
    Participant

My fiance ( 52 ) manages his ADHD just fine without medication.

MrObvious
    Participant

What job do you have? If it’s not a sit down job, you probably do fine because you’re moving.

Your insurance might cover a coach too.

There are also supplements and amino acids can really help.

Reflection
    Participant

Disclaimer: I also do not have not been officially labeled as ADD, but like you feel like it explains a lot about me. I have seen a therapist for a couple of years and ADD was on her shortlist, but so were a couple of other (co-morbid) disorders. She believed strongly in helping you first cope and then thrive in your life regardless of a label.

I manage my life without medication the last few years (I was on an SSRI), but I feel that it would not have been doable without this therapy. So I really recommend a CBT therapist or coach who understands and who could help you make life easier for you. If you go this route and are happy with how your life is going then there’s probably not an urgent need to add medication to the mix.

I wish you the best of luck!

Dr. Eric
    Participant

I try to minimize it, and I only medicate at home when I have a lot of chores or bills today.

However, I cannot imagine keeping a job without them.

I have done two self-studies.
    I get 6 times more work done when medicated versus unmedicated.

mitzimainer
    Participant

You are right about exercise. My sister is 66 and has undiagnosed ADHD. She has managed her symptoms her whole life with daily exercise. Exercise regulates dopamine levels. Now to regulate your serotonin levels you need to address your diet. High fat/low carb & wheat/grain/sugar free is excellent for keeping
    serotonin levels high and your brain happy!

Mitzi

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  mitzimainer.

mitzimainer
    Participant

You can manage symptoms through diet and daily exercise, specifically increasing fat/decreasing
    wheat/grains/sugar (carbs).

You can also reverse symptoms with a treatment called Neurofeedback. It brings balance to your brain relieving chronic symptoms.

Mitzi

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.