Does anyone just want silence?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Does anyone just want silence?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      pgoodall
      Participant

Today I feel awful (for several reasons), but my head won’t stop with a whirlwind of thoughts. I have a family to care for (and interact with), but right now I just want silence. Does anyone else feel this way?

I don’t know what to believe.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Everyone needs some time for themselves and some quiet sometimes. Tell your family that you’re just not feeling great and need some alone time. Delegate as much as you can and spend the day taking care of you.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Pushtrees
      Participant

…I do…
      I was born 2 months early with weak lungs and I think my ADHD and other symptoms are because of this…
      I also have this constant ringing, tinnitus in the ears, both ears like a high pitch electronic squeal that is constantly in the background and because of that I have never know what silence is…unless everyone has that, but people say they don’t have it…

so I wonder what real silence is like…

oddguy
      Participant

Does the noise around your home make you irritable ? .. it could also be you are irritable or having the ADHD funk as you mentioned about the swirling thoughts .. when am irritable i just want to be alone … hang in there ..

pgoodall
        Participant

Thanks for the responses. I was taking care of my children for the summer and without my normal commute each day I realised that I didn’t have any time to myself at all. The boys went back to school today.

It isn’t realistic to tell my family that I need alone time all day, but perhaps I can grab an hour at the end of the day.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.