Does anyone have any experience regarding this?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Does anyone have any experience regarding this?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      MaryG Keller
      Participant

Hey
      I am Olivia. My son is 3 years old. He like numbers very much. But he is suffering from ADHD. He learns new things very quickly. Like all parents, I am also concerned about him. My friend told me about the stamp game. She told that her daughter goes to a Montessori and she loves this a lot. I do not have any idea regarding this. So I am really confused about this. I wish he should get the best choice. Is this is appropriate for my son? He is only 3 years old. But his eagerness to study makes me think more. Does anyone have any experience regarding this?

nessy
      Participant

You can look up info on Montessori methods… which in my opinion seem to mirror Charolette Mason methods as well- in a nutshell, they’re basically child-led learning: utilizing their natural inquisitiveness and desire to learn to teach them, as well as teaching the whole child (not just academics, but teaching them mentally, emotionally, physically, etc).

Only you know your child best and can really be able to determined if a Montessori academy is a good match- sorry, this forum can’t do that for you. But, I would encourage you to do some research and learn about it for yourself, then decide.
      Also, you can definitely find ways of incorporating these methods into your own daily life with him. You are, afterall, his first teacher. This is kinda my take on homeschooling also- I taught my babies how to eat, smile/socialize, crawl, walk, talk, when they were babies- most parents do. And we do this without realizing we are actually teaching them. When I invite them to cook or bake with me, they are getting introduced to lessons in language/reading, math, science, etc and flexing their executive function skills (organizing, planning, task-orientation, working memory, etc).

Basically, don’t underestimate your ability to help your child learn. A Montessori school can be incredible useful, but there are things you- as ‘momma’ can do with your boy to continue to help him learn what he is interested in.

cje
      Participant

Hey Olivia, Just now there are many great books about Maria Montessori, her own writings and interpretations of her methods by other authors. If you have a kindle or tablet with kindle app, you are in luck because many of these books cost very little in this format.

Personally, I find the methods used by Maria Montessori truly inspirational yet eminently practical. She learned about children not by reading scholarly articles, but by observing their behaviour. She was truly a wise and gifted woman.

ps, why not mention the name Montessori in the heading to your question, It could attract many more relevant responses.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by cje.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by cje.
      lucybrighton
      Participant

Stamp game is excellent for children to have fun while learning Math. But, I think the game is appropriate for 5-year-olds and above. However, if you feel that your child is a quick learner and loves numbers, there is no harm in giving it a shot.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.