Doctor won’t prescribe me Stimulants

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Doctor won’t prescribe me Stimulants

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Addnon
      Participant

Cn: suicide ideation.

Hi there,

I’m from the UK and got assessed for ADHD. My psychiatrist is gonna diagnose me as soon as I send him some information from my parents.

The issue is, he’s refusing to prescribe me stimulants, because nearly 5 years ago, I was suicidal.

I overcame these symptoms. I received CBT, and it’s been nearly 4 years since I had a suicidal thought. I tried to explain this to him, but he didn’t listen.

Yes he’s a psychiatrist, but the NHS constitution says that patients have a right to choose which treatment they receive. I get why he’s concerned (it’s a reasonable concern), but I don’t think he has a legal right to stop me – I haven’t expressed suicidal urges now, or a week ago, or a year ago; it’s something terrible I experienced when I was 18, and I believe I’m being discriminated against.

It just feels really disproportionate to ban me when it’s something that hasn’t been an issue for years. Also, the way he described it was that I could feel fine without Adderall, and then suddenly after taking it I’d be plunged in a pit of despair. I just highly doubt that this is true. That’s not really how suicide worked for me – it’s a complex problem that has a lot of constituent parts; even if I feel really shit (and I have felt really shit recovering from suicide ideation) it’s not going to turn into suicidal thoughts, because I don’t have the thinking patterns that lead to that anymore.

When I said this he said that it sounded like my ideation had been driven by thoughts, but that the Adderall causes “suicidal feelings”. I’m struggling to envisage exactly what “suicidal feelings” are. Depression is a feeling, hurting yourself is a thought – an action. There is no one feeling that HAS to accompany it, and there is no one feeling that directly causes it. This explanation makes no sense, and honestly, I feel like he may have just been saying it in order to put me in my place.

Maybe the one issue is this is a private healthcare provider, and their T&Cs state that prescriptions are at the sole discretion of the consultant, unless other policy states otherwise. But 1. this is still being funded by the NHS, 2. they’re overseen by the GMC. The GMC are the people who stated the patients’ rights, so it just seems bizarre that there’d be zero accountability, so I’m wondering if the “other policy” could be impacted by their involvement with the GMC.

He’s said he’ll prescribe me non-stimulant medication first, but my understanding is 1. they’re less likely to be effective (on average), 2. they impact you more permanently than stimulant meds do.

Any help or advice would be really really appreciated.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Addnon.
      • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Addnon.
      Stellaris
      Participant

Hey,
      i think changing a doctor makes a huge difference. Some doctors i.e. prescribe SSRI with ADHD medication or prescribe ADHD medication only with a supervised therapy for depression.
      MAybe you should check with other doctors if there is any chance to battle both (adhd and depression) with an solution that works for you.
      He may have good reasons and experience why he made his decision the way he made it. But it is only one decision and you can ask more doxtors. If it seems they all aggree- he might me right- but if other doctors seems to be fine to prescribe you your medication it could be that your doctor just want to play around.

From my experience doctors are very different. In one state I got a normal dose and it worked fine for about 10 years!, but I moved to another state and the doctor cut me almost completely off and said the dose was insane- she yelled at me so I kept quit and took what she gave me but it did not work for me at all. It was a nightmare but the one doctor just did not care about me.

Kerplunk
      Participant

Get a second opinion, you can change GP surgery or ask for a different Dr at your current one. Some medication combinations can be dangerous – so they’re only doing what they think is safest. If the second one agrees, then you know it’s proper dangerous, if not you know it’s marginal.

Reading this really pissed me off. I’m sorry you’re experiencing this! If I were you, I would look for a new doctor if possible. Denying a medication option simply because you were suicidal at one time is shameful especially when that medication may actually lower suicide rates in people with ADHD.

I’m currently reading ‘New ADHD Medication Rules’ by Dr. Charles Parker. In it, he states that treating ADHD with stimulants can actually LOWER suicides rates! Parker also states that prescribing an ADHD patient an SSRI without a stimulant can actually increase the likelihood of suicide. If you have depression and ADHD, it’s important to treat both by carefully balancing SSRIS and stimulant medications. I can provide you the page numbers or a PDF of the parts of the book. I’m also going to post an article about ADHD medication and suicide rates.

I was initially misdiagnosed with Bipolar disorder Type 2 and tried over a dozen different medications with limited success. My difficulties with functioning and treatment failure caused me great despair and was one of the main reasons I felt suicidal for years. It wasn’t until I was put on Adderall and Guanfacine XR that I felt all my suicidal thoughts disappear completely! I feel like I’m living more effectively; this has increased my self-esteem and has pushed any suicidal thought I had even further away.

Hang in there!

Greg

Current Medications: Adderall IR, Lexapro and Guanfacine Xr (Intuniv).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psychiatry-the-people/202002/can-adhd-medication-prevent-suicide

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.