Doctor doesn’t want to prescribe Stimulants

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Doctor doesn’t want to prescribe Stimulants

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      doggiechew
      Participant

Hi, I’m 36 years old and just got diagnosed with adhd. My psychiatrist doesn’t want to put me on stimulants. I’ve been on Wellbutrin didn’t work and Straterra 40 mg and 80mg. Both 40 and 80 worked at first took it for 3 months. Any advise would be well appreciated. Also I pace all the time can’t stop moving it’s hard to
      Sleep at Times. I take something for sleep but it hasn’t been working to well since I started my new job.
      Thanks for your help

aboard1182
      Participant

Psychiatrists bring not only their education & training to work with them, but also their life experiences, values, & biases, too. As we all do. Have you asked your psychiatrist to help you understand why they’ve not suggested a stimulant for the management of your ADHD?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It may be time to seek a second opinion. There are certainly some important reasons doctors shy away from stimulants in adults, but there are also doctors who simply think stimulants are “bad.”

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.