do planners and calanders work for anybody?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done do planners and calanders work for anybody?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      damnmouse
      Participant

I have tried this a few times but I frequently loose little schedule planners the second I get them. Or space out on calendars. I think my calendar still shows the month of November. I don’t get how this works for anybody.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There’s a current similar discussion here: https://www.additudemag.com/forums/topic/paper-or-electronic-planner/, with lots of good insights.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

vcampos
      Participant

I believe it depends on the person. I tried a few years ago with a planner, but didn´t work out. This last semester I tried again, never removing it from my bagpack, and I tell you, it has been my savior

Ranma
      Participant

I’m giving a calendar a try, I’m tired of paying late charges on my bills.
      I bought a large desk mat calendar and got a large flexible sign magnet and glued it to the back making it a giant refrigerator magnet, now the hard part is to get in the habit of writing appointments and due dates on it.

Jillian Jiggs
      Participant

I have a big calendar hung up in the kitchen, and it has everyone in the family’s appointments on it. If it’s not on the calendar, it doesn’t exist. I don’t do well with electronic calendars, like Google calendar… it’s just out of sight, out of mind for me.

A year and a half ago, when I started to suspect I had ADHD, I came across the youtube channel “How to ADHD” and her description of the Bullet Journal was so compelling that I tried it. I’m still using it!!! That’s huge. I have never been able to stick to a system this long before. I keep it with me always and call it my brain. So, my mantra is “Wallet, Phone, Keys, Brain” when I leave the house.

For me, it was such a relief because I had drifts of paper everywhere, with lists of this and that, and a note about some plan for the summer, and here was a quote I liked, and there was a dentist appointment card I definitely didn’t want to lose. It was a mess, and extremely clutter-y. Now instead of grabbing a random piece of paper and writing on it, I always write in my Brain. And this gives me a good chance of finding it again, yay!

The solution that you need will probably come when you look at how you handle information. What do you do when you need to remember something that’s coming up next month? Next year? Every week? Where do you keep that information? If you find some sort of system that is similar to what you already do, but with more organization, I think that will be the right fit for you.

Honey18
      Blocked

Jillian, what do you use for your ‘brain’? Is it a simple notebook? What size is it? I have bought so many notebooks over the years and none of them have been quite right. I would love to have everything on one place like you say rather than all over the place.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.