Do I really still need both

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Do I really still need both

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      rnphil
      Participant

I take Vyvance and will Wellbutrin. I am not sure whether the Wellburin is still necessary Vyvance seems to have settled my racing thoughts. Is anybody else taking an antidepressant and an ADHD medicine?

caringmom
      Participant

Dear RNFILL,actually I want to ask the same thing.My son aged 6 yrs had been given antidepressant as well as adhd medicine to stop is racing thoughts on the subject he is hyperfocused.99% it is vechicles and i found extremely good results.BUT as he is only six years and somewhere i read antidepressant shrunk the brain and dont give antidepressant and mood elevators to kids which are for bipolar or schizoprenia i gradually stopped it,before a week.Now he is consistently obesed with websites related to vechicles.HE wants us to purchase it on his birthday ,select some real vechicle and again after few minutes will come up and will find some reason for not liking the selected and do the same process again.AND if we shut down the laptop will be extremely aggressive.He doesnt want to go to his classes and if we send him his whole thought are about those websites and he hasnt cut those things from his mind.He just wants to come back and do the same thing again.

I am also in hudge dilemma,have I done something wrong by stopping his antidepressant due to scare though i got better results or this irrational behaviour will ultimately stop after some time.Or maybe this is because of methylphenidate.

Anyone please share your experience of taking antidepressant and adhd medicine.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Many people take both an ADHD medication and an antidepressant to treat both ADHD and either depression or anxiety (or all 3). Of course, this is something you should discuss with the prescribing doctors, especially any fears you have about taking the medication.

Here’s a great article on what you need to know when your child takes multiple medications:

Multiple Medications for Your Child: What You Need to Know

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

caringmom
      Participant

Thank you Penny for informative article,you have always been helpful since I have joined the portal.With all these pros and cons mentioned in the article,current medicines are working wonderfully for my son.My only concern is that as he is having adhd he must take medicines for it,but the other med which is prescribed for disorders like schizoprenia,bipolar or mood disorder will it besafe in long term for such a 6 year old kid?AS he is not diagnosed with these disorders.Or eventually he will grow out of that?DO you have any other link related to this?sure I will take second opinion as mentioned in the biog.Thanks again.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Are you asking about the anti-depressant? Many kids need them and have a better quality of life because of them. Of course, some kids had overwhelming side effects and can’t take them.

Mood stabilizers/antipsychotics (like Seroquel, Depakote, Rispderal, etc…) are prescribed for mood disorders, including bipolar and schizophrenia. Antidepressants may be used in combination with this, I don’t know, but antidepressants aren’t solely used for mood disorders — they’re most commonly used for anxiety and/or depression, especially the SSRIs.

Take a look at the medication overview and reviews section to look up the specific medication you’re referring to:
        https://www.additudemag.com/category/explore-adhd-treatments/treatment-reviews/

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

whisperingwings
      Participant

Hi, this is just my experience. I want to share so people will be more aware. Doctors prescribed many SSRIs and mood stabilizers to me since I was 14. It made my symptoms much worse. I became manic, more racing thoughts, did crazy things to be stimulated and also hospitalized many times for being suicidal. When I told the doctors about feeling worse, they told me “It’s not working, let’s increase the dose” or “let’s switch you over to a different SSRI/mood stabilizer.” I believed them and it nearly destroy my life (took away 10+ years) until I found a doctor who correctly diagnosed me with ADHD and put me on Adderall. It’s the first time in my life I started to feel so much better and have hope again. It’s not perfect but I can feel calm and focus.

I am also taking Wellbutrin along with Adderall. The Wellbutrin works well with the Adderall and enhances it. I think one of the reasons may be Wellbutrin is not a SSRI and it targets the norepinephrine and dopamine receptors more than the SSRIs. I also read an article that mood stabilizer (like Lithium) may cause ADHD to become worse because it decreases the dopamine. With ADHD, the dopamine is already decreased and we never want it to go lower. This may not apply to you. If you are feeling better with SSRI and mood stabilizer than please don’t stop taking them. But it’s important to start questioning the doctor if symptoms get so much worse.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

To add to what @whisperingwings said, my son cannot tolerate any SSRIs. He has the very rare side effects, like hallucinations, to the several we tried to treat his anxiety. When we tried Prozac, he had crazed suicidal ideation and turned from super sweet to violent. Doc said it couldn’t be the Prozac because he was taking half the lowest dose and only for a week, but it turned out to be the Prozac we found out, after a few more weeks and I listened to my gut and decided we had to stop it.

I don’t want this to scare you. There are millions of kids who successfully take SSRIs. My son is extremely sensitive to these medications, and even vitamins and supplements. His reactions are VERY RARE.

I’ve been told this type of sensitivity is common with “high-functioning” autism, which he also has on top of his ADHD.

Penny

caringmom
      Participant

hi Penny and whisperingwings,it is aripiprazole 5 mg /day.This is 10 th day since I have stopped it.Last two days were comparitively better.lets see how it continues…

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Ah, Abilify. Yes, that’s an anti-psychotic, not an antidepressant. It’s a lifesaver for some families but it’s not for everyone.

Penny

caringmom
      Participant

Thank you Penny.One thing I have noticed for these 15 days after stopping it;initially he was crazy and irrational. but now this week he is more stabilized.Most importantly,the behavioural side effects like compulsive shopping on potals has been tremendously decreased.I want everyone to be aware of this,because last 6 months I was thinking either it is ocd or some adhd related behavior which requires consistent stimulation, but was not knowing this is one of the rare side effect of aripiprazole. PREVIOUSLY my son would take 5MG of aripiprazole in night and for the next whole day he can thrive without any impulsivity or hyperactivity.ONLY during school time i used to give him methylphenidate 10 mg Xr once a day.NOW i give it twice a day.NOthing other than that.But once I was thinking Aripiprazole is like a magic to my kid.But by scaring of its side effect I stopped it and now i have doubt on this magic wand.

Another thing ,as a parent I joined the portal to get some tools and stratergies to help my kid,because in our country plan 504,IEP AND all oteher things are extremely rare and only superrich can afford.BUT many of the post I saw seem to be having negative messages and they shake hope for future with the support of medicine.Maybe they have their own experience.Can you or anyone share something positive and hopeful links or forum topics where people have successfully managed their adhd and life.Lastly extremely sorry if my opinion hurts anyone.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.