Do I really have adhd?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Do I really have adhd?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      phsa
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I am a 30 years old male and was diagnosed 3 months ago. The psychiatrist seem to know how to conduct all the test and was referred by my family doctor.

I started by taking Adderall XR 10 mg, for a week, then increased the dose to 20mg for two weeks and then 25 mg for another two weeks. On the first two days I felt like I was hyper focusing and could pay attention to everything and postpone everything as I do. On the third day I started experiencing a lot of side effects, and it got worse the dose was increased. My doctor then changed my to 15 mg and its been 2 weeks.

I have definitely noticed some improvements in my life, but a lot of times I am still having brains fog, getting very anxious when I have to put a work presentation together and can not ge my brain to focus on the activity until the last hour when all brilliant ideas come to mind I get the basic completed, because I no longer have the time to express all those ideas.

I have been wondering if this is common or do I really have ADHD?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Adderall might not be the right ADHD medication for you. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.

ADHD Medications Rarely Work Perfectly on the First Try

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Waitsjunkie
      Participant

I’m in total agreement with Penny Williams, phsa. It took me at least three meds and a number of months to finally settle on a med that works (relatively) well for me without too many side effects like the jitters or wonky blood pressure.

Also, it’s extremely important to note that ADHD meds aren’t a magic bullet. You don’t take the right dose and then suddenly become able to sing and dance in perfect harmony and step with wider society. What they do allow when they’re working correctly is the ability to focus on tedious tasks. The rest is up to you and will probably take some work in training yourself how to focus on the right things if you have years of ingrained habits built around focusing on whatever is providing you with dopamine. I would hope that your doctor is able to to provide some support with this as well since finding the right med is only the first step of the journey.

Finally, the whole brain fog and breezing through things at the last minute because you function better under pressure? Totally an ADHD thing. So if your expert is inclined to think you have it then I’d be inclined to believe it. Problem is, that’s no way to live. Ultimately it can lead to all sorts of anxiety and stress related conditions. Don’t ask me how I know…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Waitsjunkie.
      • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Waitsjunkie. Reason: Typo and improved clarity
Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.