Do I have ADD? Help

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Do I have ADD? Help

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  quietlylost 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

princesspaigexd
    Participant

Hey, my name is Paige and I’m 26. I’ve recently been thinking that I might have add so I’ve made a doctors appointment so that I can get a referral, but my appointment is over a month away so I wanted to ask people with experience what they think.

I always thought that I was just lazy and unmotivated until I discovered adult ADD and it made so much sense to me. I’ve always had issues finishing things (projects, school work, housework e.c.t) when I was about six I developed restless legs syndrome which I’ve heard can be associated with ADD, in primary school I was above average learning for my age but I always struggled to finish work, so sometimes I’d cheat. My parents always told me that I had ants in my pants and that I talked too much. If I do have ADD then it’s definitely gotten worse with age as my symptoms as a child from what I can remember weren’t really that bad compared to now. I didn’t finish school, failed university 8 months in as I didn’t finish the work required to move forward. In the last few years I’ve started dozens of projects that I never finished even though I really wanted to, just recently quit my job after 1/half years as it bored me. I struggle to even have a shower because I find completing boring tasks impossible. I can never stop moving, everyday I pace around for hours because I can’t sit still for long. I’m 26 and unemployed, I really want to turn my life around and learn new things but I can’t. I want to get back into art , read books, watch movies without skipping through them, be able to hold down a job e.c.t I just don’t know what to do and feel helpless and lazy

missbizzylizzy
    Participant

Ob, bless your heart!! You are not alone. I am not a doctor or health professional but I am ADD and you sound exactly like me. This website is really helpful and you are in good company here.

It’s a struggle but at least you haven’t discovered this at the age of 52, like I did. So many wasted years, if only I had known. Grrrrr… I’m sure you will find your way forward, as I am.

Thriving with Adult ADHD by Phil Boissiere was recommended to me by a number of people and I can’t recommend it highly enough. However, everyone is different so you might want to preview a sample first. (No, I’m not related to the author, just giving an honest opinion LOL.)

Welcome and good luck to you 🙂

quietlylost
    Participant

It sounds like a good step in terms of getting the evaluation. A lot of symptoms you report could be related to ADHD. I’d bring the list of concerns you just shared to your appointment when you attend it. Those are all great examples. Good luck during the evaluation process!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.