Difficulty Swallowing Capsule

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Difficulty Swallowing Capsule

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user HippyYiddishMama in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

My 8 year old son is new to taking any kind of medication and our morning has become a battleground of crying and gagging and is basically a nightmare. I just looked up the Oraflow cup, so that may be an option but I was trying to come up with some other options. His medication is one 10mg Vyvanse capsule. I was wondering if it would be ok to open the capsule and pour the contents into a spoonful of yogurt or applesauce, or something similar? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Yes, Vyvanse can be opened and sprinkled, but shouldn’t be chewed, so be sure you sprinkle it on something that he will just swallow. Check with the prescribing doctor for their advice.

A straw can be helpful to learn to swallow pills, and more tricks here: https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/8118.html

Penny
      ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user HippyYiddishMama in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Thanks! I actually looked a few things up after my post, and sprinkled it into a spoonful of yogurt…problem solved! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that right away.

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Parkour Anyone? in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

We are having those same battles – my six year old is doing the sprinkle on apple sauce thing, but she gets so stressed about it she forgets how to swallow. Neither of us are morning people, this new drama first thing is pretty miserable.

Abi
      Participant

Just in case anyone else stumbles into this thread because they’re having difficulty with swallowing – either the capsules or as in our case, even swallowing the apple sauce method, I wanted to post our solution in the hope he may help someone else. It turns out that our daughter’s swallowing difficulty is something that kids with Sensory Processing Disorders experience. Our doctor prescribed the same medication in a syrup and whaddya no, instant fix! I had no idea that an extended/delayed release could be given in a liquid, and a few pharmacists said the same! It’s expensive in comparison to the capsules so is usually reserved for kids at risk of discontinuing medication because of the swallowing issue, but if that describes your family and your insurance will cover it, I hope this tidbit helps.

Jac64
      Participant

Which medication could be put in a syrup? Was it long acting? I spoke to a compounding pharmacist and he said he couldn’t put any long acting stimulants in a syrup?thanks

Abi
        Participant

Hi There,

This is the link for the syrup, Quillivant XR. It’s just methylphenadate in fancy form lol We’ve had dosage adjustments and we’re still keeping an eye on the weight just like the original version, but so far anyway, it’s still working for us. I hope this helps you and your family 🙂

https://www.rxlist.com/quillivant-xr-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Jac64
      Participant

Thank-you. Unfortunately this is not available in Canada. The orally disintegrating tablets are also not available here. I tried at a compounding pharmacy to see what they could do using the meds are available here but no luck.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Vyvanse can be given in water, if you have that medication. And I think Adderall can be sprinkled on applesauce or yogurt or something like that that would be swallowed.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.