Difficulty in waking up, managing career, managing ADD and emotional problems

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Difficulty in waking up, managing career, managing ADD and emotional problems

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Goni.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Goni
      Participant

Hello everybody,

I am 23 years old and I have been diagnosed with ADD at the end of the 2018. I have displayed symptoms my whole life. My adolescence has been troublesome (not due to drugs, violence or any illegal activity) in means that I had anxiety, family, social problems. I had a pathological approach towards religion. Then I understood I had a hard time balancing things out not only of spiritual nature but also of all other fields. I dream of becoming a health scientist someday but I think my ADD behaviour and beliefs are a major obstacle for me. I am thinking of starting therapy. I can’t use medication since it is not available in my country. I just feel that my behaviours, actions and beliefs are sucking my joy of life and I can’t get any of it. Here are my questions:
      1. In the morning when I wake up I have a hard time getting out of bed. Thoughts keep coming to my mind, and I think of very irrelevant things. It has become a habit to me to spent 10-30 minutes in the bed after I wake up. Sometimes I fall asleep and wake up much later than I have aimed to. Of course, this ruins my biological rhythms which contributes to not having stability in my sleep patterns.
      2. I am a dietitian. I can’t decide what to do with my career. I experience anxiety when I try to decide on my career, and this anxiety when making decisions has impeded me from success many times. As you know, ADD is a executive function disorder and this may be a cause of it. But, sometimes I do think whether I am justifying my cowardice to myself by this. Any advices?
      3. No medication in my country. I am trying to be careful about my diet (as I am a dietitian 🙂 . Any other advices?

ivry321
      Participant

Hi,

First of all congrats on only being 23 with so much inspiration to become something wonderful in your life.

ADD/ADHD is a learning disability and one of the things it’s notorious for that stops you from seeing consequences due to your actions.As you mentioned with trouble in school and drugs. After a while, this will definitely cause depression which sounds like the Major problem.

Counseling will take care of the ADD. Drugs? help a lot. Ritalin is usually available in most countries? You can’t find any anti-depressants either?

Well your strongest asset is probably your desire to do well.Diet is super important for ADDr’s as exercise etc

I havent tried doing this deal without Doctors and meds I can only imagine how difficult it must be..

Best to you

Dave

Goni
        Participant

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have tried to reach for medication but I couldn’t find it in my country. Antidepresants are available but I don’t want to use any if not needed.
        I didn’t have problems with drugs, but I had and still continue to have emotional problems. That being said, I am looking forward to Therapy.

Kind Regards,
        Agon

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are some solid strategies on getting up in this article that can help:

Problems Getting Up In the Morning?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.