Difficulty in waking up, managing career, managing ADD and emotional problems

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Difficulty in waking up, managing career, managing ADD and emotional problems

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Goni 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Goni
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I am 23 years old and I have been diagnosed with ADD at the end of the 2018. I have displayed symptoms my whole life. My adolescence has been troublesome (not due to drugs, violence or any illegal activity) in means that I had anxiety, family, social problems. I had a pathological approach towards religion. Then I understood I had a hard time balancing things out not only of spiritual nature but also of all other fields. I dream of becoming a health scientist someday but I think my ADD behaviour and beliefs are a major obstacle for me. I am thinking of starting therapy. I can’t use medication since it is not available in my country. I just feel that my behaviours, actions and beliefs are sucking my joy of life and I can’t get any of it. Here are my questions:
    1. In the morning when I wake up I have a hard time getting out of bed. Thoughts keep coming to my mind, and I think of very irrelevant things. It has become a habit to me to spent 10-30 minutes in the bed after I wake up. Sometimes I fall asleep and wake up much later than I have aimed to. Of course, this ruins my biological rhythms which contributes to not having stability in my sleep patterns.
    2. I am a dietitian. I can’t decide what to do with my career. I experience anxiety when I try to decide on my career, and this anxiety when making decisions has impeded me from success many times. As you know, ADD is a executive function disorder and this may be a cause of it. But, sometimes I do think whether I am justifying my cowardice to myself by this. Any advices?
    3. No medication in my country. I am trying to be careful about my diet (as I am a dietitian 🙂 . Any other advices?

ivry321
    Participant

Hi,

First of all congrats on only being 23 with so much inspiration to become something wonderful in your life.

ADD/ADHD is a learning disability and one of the things it’s notorious for that stops you from seeing consequences due to your actions.As you mentioned with trouble in school and drugs. After a while, this will definitely cause depression which sounds like the Major problem.

Counseling will take care of the ADD. Drugs? help a lot. Ritalin is usually available in most countries? You can’t find any anti-depressants either?

Well your strongest asset is probably your desire to do well.Diet is super important for ADDr’s as exercise etc

I havent tried doing this deal without Doctors and meds I can only imagine how difficult it must be..

Best to you

Dave

Goni
      Participant

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have tried to reach for medication but I couldn’t find it in my country. Antidepresants are available but I don’t want to use any if not needed.
      I didn’t have problems with drugs, but I had and still continue to have emotional problems. That being said, I am looking forward to Therapy.

Kind Regards,
      Agon

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There are some solid strategies on getting up in this article that can help:

Problems Getting Up In the Morning?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.