Difficulty in school, concerta not working – med change needed?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Difficulty in school, concerta not working – med change needed?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ddt1981
      Participant

I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow with my son. He is 7 yo. First was on vyvanse and he was allergic. We changed the Concerta (generic form) and it worked during school, but faded off fast and had trouble after school and very hyper. We increased to 32 mg concerta (brand name) and it works longer, but he is more distracted in school the teacher reports, has trouble getting going in the morning, very groggy, hard to get motivated. Then she reports that he is more hyper in the afternoon and less distracted. I am hesitant to change back to the generic form because it does last longer and seems more “even” when I see him in afternoon. He does not like school, says its boring.

Will report this all to the doctor. Just curious if any other parents have experienced this? Or what other parents have used that seems to work well? I am trying to keep his diet good, reduced sugar, high protein and calories ( because his appetite also is not good). Use pediasure for supplementing calories along with food that he likes.

please any suggestions would be very helpful! very anxious and worried Mom…. it seems like there should be another option for him.

Boomer
      Participant

Our experience is that it took years of trial and error before finding the correct medications. You may find one that works well, and as your son grows, needs to be adjusted or changed. Currently our 15yo daughter is on long lasting Concerta and Strattera in the morning, with a booster of methylphenidate in the afternoon.

There are two major classes of ADD meds, Stimulants and Non-Stimulants. Most people are helped with Stimulants. In our case a combo of both (Strattera being non-stimulant) helped, as none of the stimulants alone gave her enough concentration for schoolwork. You will hear repeatedly “every child is different”, which is very true. I highly recommend you keep a log of all your sons meds, noting the benefits and side affects. I’ve been keeping one for 7 years, and frequently return to it for reference.

Medicines should be started at the lowest dosage, and titrated (slowly increased) until a dosage that works is found, usually a 2-4 week process.

Also, we give our daughter cyproheptadine, an antihistamine, to stimulate her appetite. She doesnt like any protein drinks. It has been an uphill battle getting enough protein into her, the cyproheptadine gives very noticeable results in her appetite.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.