difficult making study with ADHD Kid

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents difficult making study with ADHD Kid

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      rammaghenthar
      Participant

Hi
      My son is 7 year old. He is going to first grade next year. He is under medication now. taking concerta 18mg Everyday. We are facing problem to make him study. In school he directly says to teacher saying not to willing to study. We are struggling to make academically growth. Even basic studying training is not working fine. Any guidance is appreciated. how to train in studies part. Remaining is ok to manage

katherine4
      Participant

Hi, I would strongly recommend that you focus on the fun in learning by reading with him a lot and doing hands-on types of learning. I wouldn’t make schoolwork and homework a battle ground. I’m starting to believe that we need to find the right environment for the adhd kid, not force the kid to fit into a particular environment. This may not be an option for you but I would also consider sending your son to a school that is less traditional. Sitting in a chair for several hours a day and focusing on tasks that may be painful for him is not productive, in my opinion. Schools that allow the kids to move around a lot and that are very hands on serve adhd children better. Homeschooling is also something to consider down the road.

If he must stay in his current school, you should ask for special accomodations like allowing him to stand up at his desk or take a walk down the hallway several times a day. My advice to you as the mom would be to give your son as much outdoor time as you possibly can. This is calming to an adhd child and they desperately need to exercise/energy outlet. Also figure out the time of day when he is at his most calm or focused, and then reward him for every 5 minutes that he can focus on work. At 7 years old and just entering 1st grade, the academic demands should be very low anyway.

Good luck!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by katherine4.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by katherine4.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Penny Williams.
      Lys
      Participant

That is a tough one. I lucked out in finding a small alternative non-profit elementary school with lots of outdoor time and no “sit in one spot and don’t talk” requirement. It makes a huge difference, in that my kid is happy to go to school and happy to learn. I really think I might have used up a good chunk of my lifetime luck with this one. Even so, I recently had a discussion like: Me – “I’m willing to help you with your project, but you sure don’t act like you want my help.” Kid – “I want your help, it’s just my attitude that’s bad!”

A few suggestions:
      – Let him keep moving. I spent my entire schooling walking circles around the room and reading the material out loud. It was the only way anything stuck. My kid does best on her writing and projects while standing up at the table.
      – Try to squeeze the homework before dinner time. That may or may not be practical. However, after dinner time my kid’s brain is off and anything requiring to much focus will devolve in fits and tears.
      – Check how much homework he gets, and discuss with the teacher if it’s too much. The National Education Association suggests that kids should be doing about 10 minutes of homework per night per grade level. In other words, 10 minutes for first-graders, 20 for second-graders and so on. For an ADHD kid, 10 minutes transforms into 30 minutes easily. Also, there doesn’t seem to be a strong scientific backing for the helpfulness of homework in elementary school (after that, it definitely seems to help).
      – Use a timer. I set it to 15 minutes, and say “Let’s see how much we can get done before the timer stops.” Knowing there is a time limit makes it seem less like “it will take forever!”. (Putting a shorter time like 5 minutes didn’t work for me, kid thinks nothing can be done in 5 minutes.) Often starting is the hardest part, and if there is still something left and the kid is amenable, we can go for another 15 minutes. Anything more than that is counterproductive.
      – Consider working with the teacher to drop the homework if he pays attention is school. Any focus on his studies is better than none.
      – If the teacher takes a hard line and it all devolves into a power struggle, there is no winning that one. Sorry. I would try to change teachers or schools, and in the meantime don’t let the relationship with your kid dissolve over a homework battle.

Hugs!

Amie
      Participant

Hello: My daughter has the same problem. The answer for her was to sit any way she wanted. That meant laying on the floor on either her back or belly,or on her back with her legs on the sofa. As most elementary school homework is reading and math this was no problem. Also, my daughter started a new school district last year and had a seating arrangement I had never seen before. They had multiple seating choices in each class. They could sit on the floor, a yoga ball, a beanbag chair with a lap desk, and several other options.

Good luck with your kiddos!

stunned
      Participant

Dear rammaghenthar,

1. Perhaps you could teach your son how to use the Cornell Note Taking method and
      have him walk around the house with his study notes in hand. I used that approach
      to get 90+% in university.
      http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Cornell-Notes

2. Perhaps you could use the premac principle to complete his homework.

“Grandma’s Law” – The Premack Principle

Complete one question followed by 5 minutes of something fun.
      Repeat this process until all the homework is done.

3. I continue to use that principle today especially when I have reports to complete for my work.
      Example: Complete a paragraph for the report then read a page from an action novel. Maybe in your
      son’s case complete a question and then play five minutes of his favourite computer game.
      You will need to be patient with him until he develops the self-discipline to handle this
      approach, but from personal experience I can tell you it works even without medication.
      I used this principle before I was diagnosed two decades later in life.

4. You could also consider getting Dragon Systems to type while he talks and walks.
      https://www.nuance.com/dragon.html
      My family doctor uses the “medical” version of this system and he is likely one of the
      most amazing doctors I have ever met because he has his regular practice, is an associate
      professor, makes house calls, he has a paperless filing system, and on his website his patients
      can book their own appointments online with him.

anomalocaris
      Participant

Maybe try working with him in an outdoor setting when weather allows. Some studies have found that ADD students work and focus better in a natural environment. If you can’t have him study outside, maybe try increasing the amount of time he spends outdoors, and schedule his study times for times when he’s just spent some relaxed outdoor time?

toyadanielle
      Participant

Thank you all because my 8 year old son does not like to write. He does well in everything else but when it comes to writing, he gets frustrated, gets mad, and gives up. I will try all of these methods. Thank you!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.