Different goals

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      teach2think
      Participant

Hi – I’ve known for a few years that I have undiagnosed ADHD, predominantly inattentive.
      My spouse and I have been married for 14 years. She dearly wants her own home, but my inattention to finances, as well as starting my career late, make that dream seem out of reach and nigh unattainable. Truth be told, I’m really not bothered by renting. I don’t look into the future much at all, I’m much more day-to-day in my thinking. I missed a credit card payment last month and in her eyes I don’t care about her dreams because I don’t work to protect them.

Do other people encounter these same problems? What do you do to work towards a stable financial future? Are you also live-in-the-moment types?

Thanks
      t2t

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It sounds like your financial priorities are different. She wants to be financially stable, and you want to live in the moment. Neither is bad, but you do have to come to some sort of compromise and agreement to end the friction on the matter.

These financial tips from others with ADHD might help too:

“I’m Finally Saving Money, Thanks To…”

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.