Diet and Managing ADHD Symptoms

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Diet and Managing ADHD Symptoms

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      blair.lowndes
      Participant

Hi Everyone,

Due to some stomach issues, my doctor recommend that I go sugar, gluten, alcohol and dairy free for a period of 6 months to determine triggers. So far I’ve been eating this way for the last 2 months and I have to say that I feel incredible and discovered that sugar and simple carbs were causing a lot of my stomach issues. At the same time, I’ve noticed that my ADHD symptoms on this diet are a lot more manageable and I feel a lot calmer, in fact many people have commented. It’s also improved my relationship with my wife. In the past I’ve suffered from constant hyper activity, being unable to focus, mood swings, thrill seeking, constantly cutting people off/interrupting, anxiety and nervous energy/fidgeting etc. and all have decreased dramatically. All of my symptoms are still there but not as severe (thank God it hasn’t affected by hyper-focus). If I had to put a number on it, I’d say 35 to 40% better on average and I have gone off all medication (too many side effects). I also no longer require caffeine and those 3:00 pm afternoon lulls are nonexistent. I would HIGHLY recommend giving up sugar and gluten to other people and hope that you receive the same results. I still have my hyper-activity days but no where near as bad. Also a bit of daily exercise and meditation helps.

Foods I’ve given up:
      -all forms of sugar unless its natural sugars such as fruits, honey, maple syrup, Stevia, Xylitol etc. but I still don’t have too much of those either. I also really have to read food labels for hidden cane sugar/derivatives as it’s EVERYWHERE and it’s a bit of a pain eating out at times.

-No more breads, white/wheat/corn pasta, white/whole wheat flour based foods or simple carbs such as potatoes, white rice . I still eat almond, quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice flour, tapioca flour

-No processed food or junk foods.

I know to many that this might seem like a daunting task to give up all of this but there is surprising still a lot of things I can eat and I don’t’ feel deprived at all. There are still a lot of natural sugar desserts for my sweet tooth. It just takes a lot more prep and I had to clean out all of my cupboards so I’m no longer tempted by junk food. To start, I read the following books and follow them religiously. Good luck and I hope this post will help others.

Books: Slimming Meals That Heal, Meals That Heal Inflammation and Hot Detox
      Author: Julie Daniluk

Book: Wheat Belly
      Author: William Davis

Let me know if you have any questions.

Blair

biggrlsdntcry44
      Participant

Dear Blair,
      Thanks for the dietary tips. I went to stay with a vegan friend and because there was nothing but healthy food available I ate it. It took some getting used to, but when I got home and stepped on the scale and saw I had dropped ten pounds I was in! It can be challenging as you said, and I noticed that lately when I sweat, I smell like tofu! 🙂 It is true that eliminating chemicals, high fructose corn syrup,msg(which by the way is not so much a flavor enhancer as it is actually an additive meant to stimulate the hunger signals to your brain. That’s why that chip commercial so smugly says betcha can’t eat just one! I still fall off the wagon now and then but for the most part my food and even my snacks don’t have chemicals that will short circuit my brain. If I have chips, the ingredients are potatoes,oil,sea salt. Now THAT’S a chip that I betcha can eat just one! 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.