Diagnosed today (age 30)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bethewers 3 hours, 2 minutes ago.

• Author

Hello,
    so today I had my diagnostic appointment after; an initial assessment, some questionnaires, a long waiting list, another (in depth) assessment, another looooong waiting list, and then finally today.. where I was diagnosed with ADHD.

I’m 30. I don’t know what to feel about it, part of me wishes it had been pick up on sooner, but then i’m glad that I might have a chance at a better life now. Is it relief? Not really… but.. kind of?

How did you feel about getting diagnosed?
    It’s a lot to take in.

Bethewers
    Participant

I have just been diagnosed at 22 years old and tried elvanse for the first time today. The results were great from the meds my leg wasnt jumping constantly and I could sit at my desk at work for more than a hour without feeling like I have to get up, everything felt quieter and calmer too. However now I’m at home I’m still thinking to myself I dont have ADHD, how can I tell I have ADHD? Like how my mind is it’s normal for me, would meds have a differant effect if I didnt have ADHD? Iv been told all my life I have so much energy and people have always brought up ADHD and in one part of my brain I know I have ADHD but the other side of my brain just doesnt believe it, anyone got any tips?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Those feelings are super common with adult diagnosis of ADHD. This article has some helpful insights on moving forward:

Your After-Diagnosis Survival Guide

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Thanks ADHDmomma, they are also going to be testing me for ASD (again), I got the impression the psych who diagnosed me is pretty convinced I’m on the spectrum. I did the questionnaire for them before and I think it came up as quite low scoring, but the Dr wants me to be re-assessed.

I’m starting to wrap my head around it all. I guess looking back, a lot of my life makes sense now, considering the ADHD.

I’m going to check out that survival guide now!
      Thanks again!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.