Dexedrine Spansule

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dduch 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

fighting_major
    Participant

Good morning,

I recently had a change in medicine from Vyvanse 70mg to Dexedrine Spansule 20mg twice a day. I have been taking 20mg upon waking generally around 5am and the other 20mg around 11am. I am finding that the Dexedrine doesn’t give me quite the motivation in the morning as the Vyvanse did but still manages my ADHD symptoms overall. My question is should I increase my waking dosage to 30mg and then take 10mg at 11am? Does anyone have any experience with Dexedrine Spansule and can offer me advice? Before I approach my PA with this I just want to know more.

Thank you!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There may be people out there who have taken dosages similar to what you’re proposing, but everyone reacts differently. That means the only way to know if that will be advantageous for you is to try it, with your clinician’s guidance, of course.

Dexedrine

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

fighting_major
      Participant

Thank you for your reply. I did speak with my PA a short while ago and have her permission to adjust my dose as I see fit as long as I stay within the 40mg.

auntmaretao
    Participant

I take the Dexedrine Spansule (40mg once a day) and because it is slow release I find it takes 45 minutes to an hour to “kick” in.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  auntmaretao.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  auntmaretao.

fighting_major
      Participant

Thank you for replying. I have the permission of my PA to go ahead and adjust my dose to either 30 or 40mg at wake up. She just said stay within the 40mg dose per day. Do you find the 40mg dose too much? Does it cause nervousness? I am not stimulant naive as I’ve been on 70mg of Vyvanse per day up until last week. I am also not small at 6’0 and 215lbs. I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

auntmaretao
    Participant

I find the Spansule most effective for 8 to 10 hours then it begins to become more and more less effective. So, maybe try both 30-10 for couple weeks then 40 for a couple weeks and see which seems to be most effective for you.

fighting_major
    Participant

I am leaning towards doing the 40mg at wake up. Just get it into my system early. By even doing the 10mg at 11am I just don’t want it carrying into the evening. After being on 60 and then 70mgs of Vyvanse for over a year I don’t see 40mgs of Dex Spansules really overwhelming me.

auntmaretao
    Participant

I looked up the the conversion and of 30mg Vyvanse is equal to 8.85 mg dextroamphetamine. So Vyvanse to Dexedrine is 70mg of Vyv is about 40mg Dex. So it likely won’t.

fighting_major
    Participant

Thank you for responding and doing that equation. I have done the 40mg at wake up the last two days and have experienced maybe a little benefit. I’m not really impressed with this medicine and honestly wish I stayed on Vyvanse. My PA said if this didn’t work we would try Adderal but for some reason my insurance doesn’t cover it so she would have to try to get a waiver. Having just gotten a full prescription of the Dexedrine I am just going to try to deal with it for the month so I don’t get the stink eye from the pharmacist if I try to fill another stimulant script.

Dduch
    Participant

I think I had the same issue but reverse med scenario. It’s frustrating trying new meds.
    I think they want to start low so you have somewhere to go when you grow immune, but at the same time, you can’t start so low.

I wonder about doing a titration. Like, as you start one med low, lower the med you are on. And ween off one while increasing the other.

I’ve been on dexidrene for so long, that it already wasn’t working, when they swapped to generic, and the generic is horrible. It weaker, the spansules are Bot slow release, and they taste like feet smell.
    I need to swap meds but i can’t afford it the lull period. I can’t afford to be inattentive. I have to be able to focus on so many people and tasks. It’s probably the worst possible time to try new meds.
    I recommend dexidrine, but not generic sub.

Dduch
    Participant

Actually generic spansules aren’t weaker, they don’t maintain a a balance. So you get too much, then not enough.

Dduch
    Participant

Both make me feel off (too much or not enough)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.