Development of ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ Development of ADHD

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      mcann0
      Participant

My son is almost 38 years old he did no display any signs of ADHD on the checklist as a child although was diagnosed with dyslexia he struggled at school but quite inteligent. After a very unpleasant divorce when he was 13 he became extremely emotionally vunerable self harming smoking cannibas anger which he still has anger oubursts trouble with the law unable to keep jobs he still has not been diagnosed his GP says he has depression on meds for 4 years and just tells him what it could be but doesn’t actually refer him “told waiting list in the UK”. My question is can ADHD develop in teenage or adult years of is it you would have had as a developing child? he has no symptoms on the checklist for children he seems to have convinced himself that he now as it.

ryoto
      Participant

They wont diagnose in the UK without symptoms shown in childhood but it is self reported / reported by parents / shown in school reports.

Also from personal experience being diagnosed as dyslexic at 9 made my school think all my problems were dyslexia related and nothing else. Only diagnosed ADHD at 30.

If your in the UK (not Scotland because it doesn’t apply) search “the right to chose ADHD law” you can skip the UK waiting list and be assessed with in weeks/months with private healthcare providers which is paid for by the NHS.

There is one psychiatrist firm that supply you with the paperwork you need to take to the GP for free to get referred.

Dr. Eric
      Participant

In the US, the diagnostic criteria in the DSM-5 requires that the symptoms be evident prior to age 7.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

ADHD is a neurological difference. You’re born with it or you can develop it due to head injury. It could have been missed when he was younger. If medication for depression and/or anxiety doesn’t help at all, then it probably isn’t depression or anxiety alone or at all. I hope you find a path to evaluation where you live.

Adult ADHD: A Guide to Symptoms, Signs, and Treatments

What Your Doctor Needs to Know About Diagnosing ADHD in Adults

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.