Depression VS. Emotions of ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD Depression VS. Emotions of ADHD

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      hbovi02
      Participant

So in another forum, I mentioned that I have ADHD and was recently put on fluoxetine to help with depression and anxiety and it has with the anxiety, but I see no change in the depression. So I looked into ADHD a lot and learned about the emotions and rejection-sensitive dysphoria and it made a lot of sense. So now I am confused whether it is depression or the emotions from ADHD.
      Any advice?
      (I plan on talking to my Psychiatrist about it next time we meet but idk when that is and I am super nervous about asking him)

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Fluoxetine can take 4-6 weeks to be fully effective. And the dose may need adjusting at that point. Definitely talk with the psychiatrist for clarity on what the right diagnosis is.

Penny
      ADDconnect Moderator, Author on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen boy with ADHD, LDs, and autism

Claire.W
      Participant

Something to consider when taking medications for anxiety and depression, is that they usually come hand in hand for a reason. So it begs the question, which came first? the chicken or the egg? are you depressed because you have been anxious for so long that there seems to be no end? or are you anxious because you have been depressed, a very stressful situation to be in. Usually, by identifying the core issue, depression or anxiety, and treating that, your other symptoms will lessen. I’ve had symptoms of ADHD since I was a 7, and anxiety since I was 10. By identifying anxiety as the cause of my depression, and treating the anxiety, my depression began to melt away too. (It seems important to note that my anxiety was caused by my ADHD, as I was constantly afraid of being rejected for not being normal.) perhaps ask your psychiatrist about the medication which you’re taking and whether its targeting the chicken (depression) or the egg (anxiety). this may help lessen the feelings of depression which you have battled.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Claire.W.
      broccolisalad
      Participant

The drug you are on doesn’t work for a lot of people for depression, so that is not uncommon. You have to try a lot of different drugs until you find one that works. Some add drugs like adderall also have an anti depressant effect, so you might want to try that. As for what it is, whether the ADD or depression, not sure it makes sense to separate them. ADD can cause depression, but it is still depression. And regardless of what caused what, the key is finding a treatment that works for you. This likely means trying lots of different medications, and possibly going to several different therapists. In the long run what treatment works for what person varies so much that it won’t be very helpful to know which came first.

lialloyd55
      Participant

if you really wanna know the what depression is, I would recommend you to read this Article. I actually find this helpful. I hope you too. https://www.adhdcentre.co.uk/comprehensive-discussion-on-dealing-with-depression/

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.